Godaddy Script Language?

whalers1988

I am using Microsoft Expressions Web 2 and I am trying to write my code in .ASP or .ASPX. When I try to test my site locally or on GoDaddys server I get an error message saying they do not support peral script language? I have a windows platform package which supports .ASP PHP4 and 5. My first line of code has this in it: <%@ Page Language="C#" %> I change this to the pearl language and they state they don't support it?How am I suppose to write my code? Are there different flavors of .ASP? Write in c#,c++,pear,vb and are they syntaxing all different? Whats am I missing. I just took a simple example:<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><%@ Page Language="C#" %><html dir="ltr" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head runat="server"><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><title>$Response-</title></head><body><form id="form1" runat="server"></form>$Response->Write("Hello World");</body></html>So I tried changing this to <%@ Page Language="pearl" %> I am so lost now? I even changed my servers ASP version from 2.0/3.0/3.5 to ASP 1.1. They give you option on GoDaddy. Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks.P.S Here is my web.config file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><configuration> <system.web> <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"<customErrors mode="Off" /> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="errorpage.htm"/> /> <authentication mode="Windows" /> <authorization> <allow users="*" /> </authorization> <trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" /> <sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="20" /> <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" /> </system.web></configuration>

First, the language is "Perl", not "pearl". If they don't support Perl then you can't use that to write ASP, it sounds like they want you to use C# instead.What are you trying to accomplish, why not just write the code in C#? In terms of documentation and examples online, you'll find a lot more information that uses C# than Perl. Most examples for ASP.NET code are at least given in C#, VB.NET, and possibly C++ as well. Here's the documentation page for one of the mail classes for example, the code samples are given in C# and C++:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sy...smtpclient.aspxHere's a list of languages which have been ported to work with the .NET framework:http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

Languages Supported On Windows Platform Frontpage Server Ext. Server Side Includes (SSI) ASP ASP.NET v1.0/2.0/3.0/3.5 ASP.NET AJAX PHP4 or PHP5° ColdFusionShould work according to the above package plan? RIGHT?This dose not tell me if Perl or C# or VB is allowed? PERL ASP OR C# ASP OR VB ASP?I though programming in ASP is just ASP not other languages? Still missing something here?

This dose not tell me if Perl or C# or VB is allowed?
That's right, it doesn't tell you which languages you can use with ASP or ASP.NET. With ASP classic (1.0), your only options are VBScript or JScript. .NET has several other options, but yeah, they don't say which.
I though programming in ASP is just ASP not other languages?
ASP is just a framework, not a language itself. You write code in another language which actually uses the framework, and before the server executes the code it will compile what you write into another language called the Common Language Runtime, which is what the server actually executes. All of the languages listed on the dotnetpowered site are languages where someone has built something to compile that language to the CLR. That's why both the C# and C++ code examples on the page I linked to both do the same thing, they use the ASP.NET framework and both get compiled to basically the same code before the server actually executes it. All of the tutorials on the w3schools site for ASP use VBScript as the language, and it looks like the tutorials for ASP.NET use VB.NET as the language. This is why you need to use the @LANGUAGE directive at the top of your ASP scripts, so that the server knows what language you're using. Several languages are built-in to ASP.NET by Microsoft (including C#, C++, and VB.NET), but according to the dotnetpowered site if you want to use Perl with ASP.NET you need to download and install the PerlNET components on the server.

That's right, it doesn't tell you which languages you can use with ASP or ASP.NET. With ASP classic (1.0), your only options are VBScript or JScript. .NET has several other options, but yeah, they don't say which.ASP is just a framework, not a language itself. You write code in another language which actually uses the framework, and before the server executes the code it will compile what you write into another language called the Common Language Runtime, which is what the server actually executes. All of the languages listed on the dotnetpowered site are languages where someone has built something to compile that language to the CLR. That's why both the C# and C++ code examples on the page I linked to both do the same thing, they use the ASP.NET framework and both get compiled to basically the same code before the server actually executes it. All of the tutorials on the w3schools site for ASP use VBScript as the language, and it looks like the tutorials for ASP.NET use VB.NET as the language. This is why you need to use the @LANGUAGE directive at the top of your ASP scripts, so that the server knows what language you're using. Several languages are built-in to ASP.NET by Microsoft (including C#, C++, and VB.NET), but according to the dotnetpowered site if you want to use Perl with ASP.NET you need to download and install the PerlNET components on the server.
Oh ok, now this is making more sense. Thanks so much. Getting smarter as I go. :)

Archived