Navigating Mysql In The Command Line Utility

skaterdav85

This probably and ultra newbie thing to ask, but how do I get to mysql in the CLU? I open up the CLU and i start off in my H drive, but my installation of XAMPP is in my C drive. I tried cd ../ but that doesnt work. So first, how do I get to my C drive, and then after that, what exactly do I do to get to MySQL?

H:\>C:C:\>cd path\to\mysql\binariesC:\path\to\mysql\binaries>mysql.exe -uusername -ppassword

You can use cd .. to go up one directory.

So I got to here:

C:\xampp\mysql\bin

and i want to execute mysql.exe. How do I do that? I tried doing ls -al, but that wouldn't list anything. And I tried doing cd mysql.exe since I know it's in that folder but that doesnt work either.

cd is to change the directory. ls is a Linux command. If you want to list files in Windows, you use dir. Look for a DOS command reference, that should answer most of your questions. If you want to run a file you just type the name of the file. If it's an executable you don't need the extension on the end.

cd is to change the directory. ls is a Linux command. If you want to list files in Windows, you use dir. Look for a DOS command reference, that should answer most of your questions. If you want to run a file you just type the name of the file. If it's an executable you don't need the extension on the end.
is cd a Linux command or a Unix command? I thought when you go to cmd, you just navigate your computer using unix commands?

You use Unix commands on a Unix machine, Linux commands on a Linux machine, and Windows commands on a Windows machine. Each shell typically uses "cd" to change the directory. Most commands are different between the shells though, the delete command for a Linux machine is rm, but for Windows it's del.

So I finally created a stored procedure. What happens if you have a lot of them. How can you view all your SP's?I tried this based on what the mysql site said here, but it didnt work.table=customerinfodb=customers

SELECT ROUTINE_TYPE, ROUTINE_NAME	FROM customerinfo	WHERE ROUTINE_SCHEMA='customers';

i get an error that says:Unknown column 'ROUTINE_TYPE' in 'field list'

Linux (unofficially) follows the Single Unix Specification (SUS), which means (among other things) that it implements all Unix commands.

I tried this based on what the mysql site said here, but it didnt work.table=customerinfodb=customersCODESELECT ROUTINE_TYPE, ROUTINE_NAME FROM customerinfo WHERE ROUTINE_SCHEMA='customers';i get an error that says:Unknown column 'ROUTINE_TYPE' in 'field list'
Check the link, you're not supposed to select from one of your tables, it's a system table that holds that information.

oh ok. thanks, yup, that worked!Also, has anyone had any experience using Terminal and MAMP? I cant see to access my MySQL server through terminal. Im guessing it's because its packaged into MAMP.i tried doing:/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -uroot -pbut that didnt work. I was going off this site here

Is the binary in the location you typed? What was the error message?You can explore the contents of applications by bringing up the context menu for them and selecting "view contents".

Archived