Web Site Administration Tool

whalers1988

I am trying to follow alone this learning exercise book (Microsoft® Visual Web Developer® 2008 Express Edition by Eric Griffin) and I have ran into a problem with this Chapter 4. Creating Your First Web Site - Using the ASP.NET Site Administration Tool. I get this error:There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server database.Keep in mind I am using local ASP.NET Development Server running applications locally as stated in this book. Does anyone know why I am getting them and alos how can I fix this? I try to configure where the database should be locally,but it keeps timing out? Any help is much appreciated.

I am trying to follow alone this learning exercise book (Microsoft® Visual Web Developer® 2008 Express Edition by Eric Griffin) and I have ran into a problem with this Chapter 4. Creating Your First Web Site - Using the ASP.NET Site Administration Tool. I get this error:There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server database.Keep in mind I am using local ASP.NET Development Server running applications locally as stated in this book. Does anyone know why I am getting them and alos how can I fix this? I try to configure where the database should be locally,but it keeps timing out? Any help is much appreciated.
According to the book, it doesn't tell me any of that. It just states that I can run it locally. I guess I need to do more leg work? Why is this so dam hard? I liked the old days with GWBASIC, VB 6.0, Borland C and C++ and yes Borland Turbo assembly language. Pacal, HTML and front page 98! Much much easier. Seems like the jammed every language into one and forcing you to use all this software either on or off server. This is driving me nuts!!! Ugh! I just want to learn the basic stuff quickly and move on from there. I keep hitting too many walls. I can never just program or write the code. If it's not a web.config file it's a language problem or a server problem not supporting something or now a locally running server problem. Gee!!! Sorry just starting to loose it!

According to the book, it doesn't tell me any of that. It just states that I can run it locally. I guess I need to do more leg work? Why is this so dam hard? I liked the old days with GWBASIC, VB 6.0, Borland C and C++ and yes Borland Turbo assembly language. Pacal, HTML and front page 98! Much much easier. Seems like the jammed every language into one and forcing you to use all this software either on or off server. This is driving me nuts!!! Ugh! I just want to learn the basic stuff quickly and move on from there. I keep hitting too many walls. I can never just program or write the code. If it's not a web.config file it's a language problem or a server problem not supporting something or now a locally running server problem. Gee!!! Sorry just starting to loose it!
P.S. I have permissions on the app-data folder and the web.config file? Do I have to use the MMC? Microsoft Management Console? And do I have to add netframe 1.1 locally??? Then there is a million settings? Not sure now?

The error message indicates it's trying to connect to a SQL Server database, do you have SQL Server installed and running? If it's running, you should be able to open Task Manager and see processes for things like "sqlservr.exe", "sqlmangr.exe", "sqlagent.exe", etc.

The error message indicates it's trying to connect to a SQL Server database, do you have SQL Server installed and running? If it's running, you should be able to open Task Manager and see processes for things like "sqlservr.exe", "sqlmangr.exe", "sqlagent.exe", etc.
No I do not. It never said I needed to install it locally. I am designing from the client side. Not on or to a server yet. Just practicing locally.I tried adding these lines of code to my web.config file and I still have no luck?

I am designing from the client side. Not on or to a server yet. Just practicing locally.
But the code is obviously trying to connect to a database server. It doesn't need to be a remote server, it can be installed on the same machine, the code just needs to know where it is and how to connect. It's common to have a database server also running on your test web server. Microsoft has some sort of free version of SQL Server that you can download for free (I believe also called Express Edition), but it doesn't include any of the management tools that come with the full version of SQL Server and I think you're limited as to how many databases you can have online. There are also third-party management tools you can use with it. Or, if you have another database server available which is set up to allow remote connections, you can just give the code the details to connect with that server.

Archived