To Use Userid And Password With Asp And Ado

moin_netset

Dear friends I am working on a new project in which I am suppose to provide userid and password using asp and ado I have never done this before so need some step by step process about how it works based on that I will be able to generate the required scriptsDoes it requires database like ms access to save the username and password?kindly reply with your expertise knowledge thank you

ADO is fairly generic, one of the things you can do with ADO is connect to a database, and one type of database you can connect to is Access. So if all they said was to use ADO, then connecting to Access is one way to satisfy that requirement. It's not the only way though. They may want to use Active Directory, did they just say they want you to use ASP and ADO?There are several different ways to do authentication, check with Google:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

ADO is fairly generic, one of the things you can do with ADO is connect to a database, and one type of database you can connect to is Access. So if all they said was to use ADO, then connecting to Access is one way to satisfy that requirement. It's not the only way though. They may want to use Active Directory, did they just say they want you to use ASP and ADO?There are several different ways to do authentication, check with Google:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8
Thank you for your reply it as helped me a lot for my understandingActually our webhost supports ASP and I dont know any other way to connect to database except ADO, I am suppose to create a userid and password athentication web page in which a form will filled with the userid and password and on submit it will check the availabilty of the username and password with the database if the match is found a cookie will be created and used on each page, I am not understanding how to recall the other data from the database using cookie when required and how to allow users to change the username or password on their discretion

For the cookie you would probably want to store the user's database ID, plus the hash of their password (or the hash of the hash of their password). On each page you would get the user ID and look up the password from the database, and make sure it matches the hashed password from the cookie. Letting users change their information is just a regular form, you just get the information from the form and use it to update the database. Since you know who is logged in you also know which record in the database to update.

Archived