Running Applications Through Links

Demonwolf

Hey all.I'm having a bit of an issue. I have created an active desktop to be used in schools. It looks wonderful thanks to the help I've received here and now I'm hoping I can get some help once again. I have a link on the page to Office 2007 applications but when I click on them... nothing happens. If I right click and click "Save Target as..." I am definitely able to save the file I want to link to but I can't get it to run.The link looks as follows: <a href="c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE">MS Word 2007</a>I have found on one or two PCs that if I open it in IE and click on the link, I get a dialog asking if I want to Run or Save the file, but this is rare. What I want to do is get it to run without prompts and from the Active Desktop. Anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried using an HTML desktop for a while... but never have I tried running local programs from it.Here's a guess though... try to change the path into a file URI, like:

file:///c|/Program%20Files/Microsoft%20Office/Office12/WINWORD.EXE

i have a feeling that most browsers would disable something like this due to security issues...Edit: Actually, this might be what you need: Source

I recently had a requirement where I needed to launch a program from a browser window. LaunchinIE allows you to start an appllication Word, Excel or any *.exe file from a Link on a web page.You can download the LaunchinIE.dll and find full installation and set up instructions at the developers site: http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/%2Flaunchinie.asp

Archived