Previewing Shtml Pages

racheld

Hi,I'm fairly new to web design and am editing a site that was created by a previous developer. The site uses .shtml files to insert the header and footer into all of the web pages. From what I've read this is a good thing and reduces the amount of editing time. The only issue I have is that when I want to preview the main page (index.shtml) through Dreamweaver, it won't show me the header or footer. Is there a way to get around this?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in Advance!Rachel

The file has to be on a server that supports server-side includes.By the way, I don't recomment previewing in Dreamweaver. Its rendering engine is different than browsers. If you want your site to look correctly you need to test it yourself in different browsers.

The file has to be on a server that supports server-side includes.By the way, I don't recomment previewing in Dreamweaver. Its rendering engine is different than browsers. If you want your site to look correctly you need to test it yourself in different browsers.
Okay, thanks for your help and your quick response. Now I know.In terms of testing, just to put your mind at ease, I always test using different browsers and such. I just like to do a quick preview from time to time. I also tried viewing the page through my local host thinking that might work, but it didn't. I guess my local host doesn't support server-side includes.Cheers.

Archived