Multiple Forms Data Submit Into Mysql With One Button

whyz3rman

Hi Guys. I have a simple question. I want to insert player data into mysql via html forms. It works If I have form for only one player:html part:

<form action="insert.php" method="post">Name: <input type="text" name="name" />Surname: <input type="text" name="surname" />Born: <input type="text" name="born" />Club: <input type="text" name="club" />Email: <input type="text" name="email" /><input type="submit" />

php part:

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost","good","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("league", $con);$sql="INSERT INTO player_data (name, surname, born, club, email)VALUES('$_POST[name]','$_POST[surname]','$_POST[born]','$_POST[club]','$_POST[email]')";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))  {  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());  }echo "1 record added";mysql_close($con)?> 

Is there a simple way if I want to add multiple players (let's say 5) at the same time:5 duplicate forms one under another and one submit button at the end for all of them. I read that the easiest way is javascript and other ways are ASP and Ajax. Any help or directions would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Thanks for your replies, but I am lost here and as you can see a newbie. I tried to combine two forms into one (for 2 players):

<html><body><form action="insert.php" method="post">Name0: <input type="text" name="ime" />Surname0: <input type="text" name="priimek" />Born0: <input type="text" name="rojen" />Club0: <input type="text" name="klub" />Mail0: <input type="text" name="mail" /></br>Name1: <input type="text" name="ime" />Surname1: <input type="text" name="priimek" />Born1: <input type="text" name="rojen" />Club1: <input type="text" name="klub" />Mail1: <input type="text" name="mail" /><input type="submit" /></form></body></html>

I tried several things, but all I managed was to successfully insert the last entry, or two entries with no data if I played with PHP part. I don't have a clue how to change insert.php to accept both entries.

You didn't give the fields unique names. You have 2 fields called "ime", 2 fields called "priimek", etc. So only the last field with a certain name will get submitted. You need to give them unique names.
I don't understand one thing here. My SQL table called player_data has six columns (translations in brackets):ID, NAME(ime), SURNAME(priimek), BORN (rojen) CLUB, MAIL e.g.1 Wayne Gretzky Oilers 1960 gretzky@something.com2 Steve Yzerman Redwings 1965 stevie@something.com3 Curtis Joseph Leafs 1965 cujo@something.comIf I change 'ime' to something else I guess I am not getting player name in the same column? In other words, how to tell the script to enter player's name under the name (ime) column if it would have a different name. Doesn't the post command in php part refer to the column names, which are always the same.All I want is to create a form where I can put custom number of players (like three in an example) and at the end press submit. So I don't have to press submit everytime I want to add a player to the database.

The form field names don't have to correspond to the database column names. Have a look at the database insertion code:

$sql="INSERT INTO player_data (name, surname, born, club, email)VALUES('$_POST[name]','$_POST[surname]','$_POST[born]','$_POST[club]','$_POST[email]')";

Guys, many thanks for the tips. It works now with this code:

<form action="insert.php" method="post">Name0: <input type="text" name="ime0" />Surname0: <input type="text" name="priimek0" />Born0: <input type="text" name="rojen0" />Club0: <input type="text" name="klub0" />Mail0: <input type="text" name="mail0" /></br>Name1: <input type="text" name="ime1" />Surname1: <input type="text" name="priimek1" />Born1: <input type="text" name="rojen1" />Club1: <input type="text" name="klub1" />Mail1: <input type="text" name="mail1" /><input type="submit" /></form>

for php:

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","Grassw0rd");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("zirafakap", $con);$sql="INSERT INTO igralec_podatki (ime, priimek, rojen, klub, mail)VALUES('$_POST[ime0]','$_POST[priimek0]','$_POST[rojen0]','$_POST[klub0]','$_POST[mail0]'),('$_POST[ime1]','$_POST[priimek1]','$_POST[rojen1]','$_POST[klub1]','$_POST[mail1]') ";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))  {  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());  }echo "2 records added";mysql_close($con)?>

Is there anything in the code I should change, add? or is this sufficient. Thx again.

To be entirely syntactically correct, you need to delimit your inline array index references:

" ... ('{$_POST['ime0']}','{$_POST['priimek0']}',... "

However, to prevent SQL injection, you should sanitize all the post variables using mysql_real_escape_string().Also, it would probably be a good idea to check whether the user actually filled out the extra form fields before inserting potentially empty records.

Archived