Updating Page Without Reloading

DanH42

I've got a text document that contains a single line of text, which changes periodically. Is there a way to have a page display the contents of this file, then when it changes, display the new version under the new version, so you can see a history of changes?

the only way i can think of is to have a JS function thats run over a short time period (maybe every minute). if the contents of the text document are different, then get the contents and display them on your page. Or just have a button on your page to trigger this JS function that would check for the contents, determine if its the same, and display the new results.

The code I've worked out so far is:

<script> function update(){  document.getElementById('text').src = 'chat.txt?_dc=' + (new Date).valueOf();}setInterval(update, 5000);</script> <iframe id="text" src ="chat.txt" width="100%" height="40"></iframe>

This mostly works, but I want the updated text to appear under the old text rather than replacing it.

I looked through it, but JavaScript isn't really one of my stronger points. I'm kind of lost.
I'm pretty sure he meant the AJAX tutorial.

AJAX (or more technically, the XMLHttpRequest object) is a component of JavaScript.The example is a almost what you need, but instead of replacing the element's text, you would want to concatenate on to it, e.g.

document.getElementById('test').innerHTML+="<br>" + xmlhttp.responseText;

You could also periodically check for changes using setTimeout() and only update if the contents has changed.

Archived