A Photo-hosting / Community Website

allyouhave

Hey guys, just looking for a little direction right now! I want to create a website somewhat like deviantART where users can upload their own pictures, comment on other users' pictures, or comment on other users' profile pages. The first major problem that I encountered before I started this project up is that I have no idea what language I ought to start coding in. I assumed that PhP and MySQL were probably my best bets since I was going to be handling photos from users and hosting them on the site (but a MySQL database is literally the only kind of database I know about, so... Maybe there's a better one I should take advantage of?).My language skills right now are... Barebones haha. I have HTML covered (advanced), CSS is pretty good (moderate-advanced), PhP is... (minimal) and MySQL is less than PhP. So, to be honest, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to start over and learn how to code in another server-side language (if I even need to).Any advice here would be great!

Your assumptions are correct. You'll need a server side language. PHP is one such choise. ASP is another. And you'll likely need (My)SQL too. Play more with those tutorials.

Archived