Deprecated tags and acronyms

Glom

Hi. Thank you for the excellent website. It has really helped me a heck of a lot with my website. You should have seen the code before I came here.I do have a couple of questions though.First question:It says here that the align attribute for tables has been deprecated and we should use styles for alignment but I can't find how exactly that works. I tried the obvious trick.

style="align:left"

That didn't seem to work though. How do you set the alignment of the table in strict xhtml?Second question:My website uses a lot of acronyms and abbreviations. I found out about the acronym tag here. Is there a way, perhaps using an external css to make it so the acronym function is automatically employed rather than having to tag every one manually?Thanks in advance for any help.Fixed link.

Edited by Jonas

You should learn CSS in more details I think. There is no such thing as "align". There is "text-align" though. To left align a table however, you should use "margin-left: 0 auto;". I'm not sure about this one though. I usually center elements(margin: 0 auto;), not left or right aligning them. If it doesn't work, "margin-right: 0 auto;" should work.I don't know how can a browser know when a word is abbreviation or a ordinary word. There are ways with other languages (server side languages, XSLT with XML, etc.) with which you can declare all acronyms at one spot and apply the <acronym> element for each one, but no way with pure XHTML and CSS. What you can do with CSS however would be to give a special styling for every acronym.

You should learn CSS in more details I think. There is no such thing as "align". There is "text-align" though. To left align a table however, you should use "margin-left: 0 auto;". I'm not sure about this one though. I usually center elements(margin: 0 auto;), not left or right aligning them. If it doesn't work, "margin-right: 0 auto;" should work.
Thanks. That worked for centre aligning, but not your suggestion about left aligning. What I want is for the table to sit among the text.Here is an example of a page where I'm interested in getting those tables aligned.
I don't know how can a browser know when a word is abbreviation or a ordinary word. There are ways with other languages (server side languages, XSLT with XML, etc.) with which you can declare all acronyms at one spot and apply the <acronym> element for each one, but no way with pure XHTML and CSS. What you can do with CSS however would be to give a special styling for every acronym.

I guess I'm going to have bite the bullet with that.