Php Mail Function Setup

ApocalypeX

PHP doesn't have anything to do with receiving emails, only sending. That is, unless you're building an application specifically to connect to your mail account and check your mail. Otherwise, PHP just sends a message to a mail server for the mail server to deliver. That means that PHP needs access to a mail server to which it can give mail. If you're hosting this from home, chances are your home ISP does not allow mail servers, you would probably need to use your ISP's mail servers. Most of the time when you're running your own mail server you're doing so on a business hosting account or something that doesn't lock down the outgoing mail ports.These are the settings PHP uses with the mail function:http://www.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php

If you're only planing to use your machine for learning PHP, I'd say the easiest way of doing it is installing XAMPP on Windows or Linux, and MAMP on OS X. If you need help enabling the local mail server, I'll give you a link to a tutorial I wrote once and seems to have helped many people who were struggling with that, but via PM.

Archived