In This Day and Age!

bojangles

Hey,Why would you use XML over a database? When it really can only handle a little bit of data anyway. And when all hosting companies, even the small ones these days will give you Ms Access for free, which is just plain easy!I am currently the personnel developer and maintainer of 17 websites based in Australia, the UK, Switzerland and France and have never needed to use XML, even Flash will interface with a database!The question is, why do we need XML?Cheers,Mike Clarke :)

XML is multiplatform way for carrying data. It can't compete with SQL and never had this purpose.If you have a catalogue, you'll sure save it within a SQL database scince it will expand rapidly.But what about simpler stuff such as interface data for example? Why would you need to carry your menus inside SQL database? No, you won't. You would carry them inside server side includes, right? Well, imagine that you would like to have a different XHTML or perhaps even a WAP site. What would you do? Use server side script that will choose appropriate other server side script that will do the stuff? And what if you change your host or change from PHP to ASP or the opposite? Remake the whole site? No way. You can have different XSLT stylesheets for each kind of platform and a single server side script that would execute the appropriate one. The thing will work despite of the server side script change and if you move, you would only need to change the script that chooses and executes the XSLT. Everything else (visual) will be intact. XML carryes the data which is transformed with the different XSLTs, so there's no need of server side includes or carrying the data over several server side pages.

Hi and welcome to w3schools bojangles!Im not a user of XML yet, but if I were to ask this question, I would first ask myself, why have they made it. If it was made there must be a proper reason. So it would not really be useless. But it looks like you did not know it's reason, and yes, you are here to learn!alzable