complete business idea, for pay WAP- service

renderworld

yep all ye codersI have newely opened my eyes for the ultracool WAP services, and I think it is greatly undervalued.My inquiry implies issues relating to a complete business idea including features like mp3´s, ringtones, images and movies exclusive for the mobile phone.1st Q up is legal issues, I intend to rip a whole lot of images, animations and mp3 on the net, Things like She-Hulk imgs, SinCity slideshows (homemade) gif from jpgs. and so on. Even a playlist in MP3 that might include Jefferson Airplane, Hawkwind and some fat techno, like FSOL:-)What is the case, must I really make EVERYTHING myself to keep it legal? I dont wanna be sued, but, man. You cant expect me to write 1000 emails to every producer asking for an expensive licence. I mean like 1000 $ for upping Chewbakka on a mobile is just rediculous. And anyhow, whos gonna know??I figure if the site is free, it will all be well, but I wanna make money! seeWhat do I do? What is done in similar cases.

I think the best way you may present things is by allowing the users to upload things via a main web site, which from then on would also be available to WAP. Thats the most sure way that no one will sue you, scince your users are responsible for themselves. Of course, as a good admin, you would be expected to delete each image and ringtone for which someone says it's illegal.This was all if you wanted the stuff to be avaiable for free, but you want it paid... hm.. well, yeah. The only way for things to be legal is to contact the producing company(es) and ask for copyrights. They would of course want percentage or something. I don't know. You'll figure it out with them. The key thing here is not to contact each movie/music producer. Instead, you would have to look for the producing comapny's president, because he owns everyone else. So, having a contract with the director of the Hulk is not the thing. Instead you would need to contact the director of... what company produced the Hulk again?

Thank you very much, when I come to think of it The WARNING on every product emerges to mind:-)I am definetly going in on commercial opproach. The poeple want pictures they can recognize, and I do not have the time or bother to make origional 5000 images on the machine even though I am a talented guy. There will too be a user upload thingy to include users, of course. And competitions. yey, win prizes.Persentage share (royalties) is the way to go. I am located in Norway and image and ringtones and games are priced way up in the sky, like 50 NOK (=7$) that is ONE wap image, it is self spoken that there is money in the business!If Mr.Lucas gets 10% I guess he´ll be satisfied. Wap is global too right:-)I have hired a coder to do the decks and cards. Hope he figures it out!hmm, Will it be difficoult for my coder to put "pay" - function on the wap site?I think I am going free for the first moths or year. then contact every president in the world for royaltie licences, they want to make money right:-)can I use a regular Internet domain for hooking up the wap service??what is the differance on mobile nets and laptop wireless, or "cable nets". Does ordinary web domains hook up on mobile satellites??Thanks very much in advance:-)

LOL, theese are really high prisez. Hope you'll sucseed with them (though you shouldn't expect anything from me :) ).As for a pay function in WAP. I think it would be very difficult. Not to mention than any smart person won't buy anything from WAP. Why? There's no SSL encryption on WAP protocols. Only some "advanced" cell phones, that support XHTML sometimes have a support for SSL also.Alternative solution that you should use is to make a main site (XHTML pages) from which users would sign in and buy what they want. Then from the WAP site, they would have to login and download the thing they have paid for from a customized list of products. Unclear?Example:I go in your site and look at some good ringtone that would like to have. I create an account and I pay for it via a credit card or something on the main site. That ringtone gets inside a special section in my account. I grab my mobile phone and go into the WAP site version of your site. I login and go to the special section in which the ringtone I have bought is. I download it and the deal is over.This is certanly the best and most secure method for doing things.Yes, you could use a regular domain for a wap site. After all, a WAP site differs only with their special kind of files(WML). There are also ways with which you could have only one main page and make a server side script that would detect if the WAP or XHTML version should be used. If you don't/can't do it, you could always make something like domain.com/wap/ and domain.com that would be the XHTML site.

I like your style!oki. Norway has a reputation of being an oil rich nation and prices kind of follow the stock, you know. Kids are kind of rich around town because they get fed by their BMW crazy parents!I have no intention on following those market prices. Im going cheap, but not free.I understand your system by logging on a web server with secure login and stuff like that, the case is that it is a "workaround", have encountered it once and hopfully never again. This method will only partly work, as a mainstream feature. The magic runs out if the concept by being in need of an external computer. Does it come with the purchase of the phone? I dont think so. And hey: why would you want to have a mobile, if you had a laptop with infinite satellite coverage? Nay, it has to be done with - one unit and one click = result!I basically want to avoid login altoghether, to include a larger number of users. Why do I want to know who downloads what? I already know what is on the server. However, on the conterary - to upload art, it is fair to require a login request. To have some kind of control, and hence exclude users from uploading distasteful or illegal arts or licenses. - - - About SIM chargeI have seen that it can be arranged otherwise. Like CHARGING your SIM-card. That is most the suitable for HOT use.Like sitting on a bus or waiting for a late lover. Forget credit cards and user logins that take half an hour (...lame). SIM-card payment is a reliable paying unit in the future, or so the geeks at cnn´s 3G report says. Mobile phones sim card will work in parallell to creditcards. However there is another way, a third way of charging via wap.1. Charging per download unit, Software studio gets paid2. Charging for using the network, Main operator account gets paid3. Allowing a small "drain account". Similar the main operator fee, but it feeds the software account. Actually I dont care if the Xhtml is "secure" or not, as long as the money is going the right way.Nobody uses the 3G or wap features either here or in Japan or in Malaysia. Why, I asked an Tele-operator this very day, and he, just like you, LAUGHED!it is too expensive, and not considered cool. It is just offbeat..But just wait till you see the stuff man...

True, I admit this is a very "boring like" system. It's normal that you don't care that much for security, but a large varaity of users does, so you should compile with their needs.An SMS payment did came into my mind, however, it would probably cover only one country (Norway?) and perhaps with later investments, one or two more countries. I don't think it would work as international kind of payment. If you could make an international SMS payment system that would be supported by all mobile operators and would be on internationally acceptable prizes, you'll be a world hit.

I dont code very much myself. Havent got tha skills, but I know others like it:-)To solve the sms payment probleme, easy... I just make one system for each country that is under scoop. Norway first and Malaysia tomorrow.Thank you very much for the information you have been a great help!best regards fromCrazy businessman:-)PS, if security and hacking(?) becomes a huge issue at the discussion table, it will be implemented, of course. But didnt it hit my ear that all "internet" services should be based on XHTML, and what prohibits the global trend, using SMS SIM card payment, then?So called trend-analysts predict a parallell use of creditcards and SIM cards??I have read on Wiki that there are 4 different "camps" of coding (?) UMTS (W-CDMA), CDMA 2000, TD-SCDMA, Wideband CDMA and UMTS TDD. I count 5. But hello, one just make versions on each net if neccesary.yepyep, dont know what to say anymore.goodbye!

I have no idea what theese coding camps are actually. Those things you wrote sound more like kinds of mobile networks, which is quite different.If users get sticked by security issues, they won't give you a second chance. If you are going to make a credit card payment, it HAS to include an SSL encryption from the first time. It's not the "XHTML" which has to be secure. It's the HTTP protocol, but that's just a detail. A phone payment won't requre this though, scince everything is done inside the operator's system.By the way, I don't get it.... how can you possibly organize a payment that would not requre a computer at all? How can anyone preview the thing he/she wants properly? And most importantly: How are they going to pay?There are only 2 ways I can think of:1. SMS payment. A user memorizes some code and types it as an SMS to an appropriate number for the appropriate price.2. Traffic payment. The payment is done when the user clicks on a download button and his internet bill gets extra charged with the appropriate price.In both ways: you need operator's support. The more- the better.If there was one central operator (the same way there's ICANN for the world wide web), there would be ONLY mobile phone payments :) .

Very good..!SSL encryption it is! I intend to have two different sectors of products. One with SMS pay, that is nonlogin service, your mobile account will be drained if you have money enough there. - - -By the way, I don't get it.... how can you possibly organize a payment that would not requre a computer at all?Well, here in this local area, there are services that drain your account with one click, When you "fill" you account with ringingminutes for like 20$, /you can buy this refill in shops - and by calling the number on the card you phones ring- minutes gets recharged) you can ring someone at a network-charge of let´s say 0,1$ per minute, when your account is dry, you cannot call anymore, just recieve calls, as long as you have battery.This is the account I want to use, and it IS being used for this purpose, I can tell! When it comes to so called "HOT" downloads like Images and ringtones and mp3´s. This is the way to go. No login and full creditcard for smalltime downloads. When Upload is the case a login is required.However I want to experiment with a larger concept I have been playing with for some time now, that is providing product line of toys, like Mechas and "wierd" robot stuff. Under the banner, Only available on the WAP!I cant afford to put up a complete shop, so I figure I start there. This one will require a complete login and credicard, SSL secure on the basic internet site, called www.LazerGallery.com. Here I will pick out just a small, small number of ultra good looking mechas or sci-fi toys and sell them on the wap exclusive, to test the market. For kids and collectors. I will order them from wherever and store them in Norway, for fast delivery. Considered a small investment.A combinatoin of both, methods is fevorable. What is so nonsecure about downloading an image for 4 cents that drain your SIM/SMS- account? what can happen? Of course it can be implemented with a SSL encryption on all products, but then it stalls the flow, and I can not allow it! I understand that if you buy a product over WAP that cost like 1000$ with no security, I too would back off and worriy. But this is 4 cents, not even a dollar, and no mention of creditcard numbers or personal information at all. You cant be bluffed, as long as I get the money and the user gets his ringtone. If he doesnt, we have a probleme. But it is easily fixed, when you have the phone number and can call them back. or send him a message saying, hey man sorry an error occured, keep your phone turned on and we will send you the product as fast as our internal struggles are done... (..that is like FAST, 12 hours max)If I announce a product in the range of 1000 $ it will have to be secure, I totally agree:-) And so it will be. But I think it is a waste of recorces to force all lowpriced products into the login credicard zone, when there is easier methods.As you probably notice I just throw alot of ideas around, but they are not fictionate. I have encounterd working versions of what I am talking about. Question is HOW..? And how large a workforce will it require.- - - If users get sticked by security issues, they won't give you a second chance.I know, cant be allowed, all customers must be happy.I guess I have to pick up the phone and just call the local networks 2 large over here called Telenor and NetCom. They should know how to proceed.:-) Hey man.. WAP can happen!Greetings

Well, again I must say, that only the main site... the XHTML site must be with SSL encrypted protocol. The SSL allows every submitted information to be delivered to the end point, without a risk of being viewed by phishers (people who monitor traffic on certain sites, so they can steal a user's details).There's no need for encrypting the WAP site, scince payments are done to the operator, not by submitting some info to the site. SSL encryption is requred only when there is info to be sent. Yeah, the operator should know how to proceed with the "link billing" and all.Infact, it's NOT reccomended to have such encryption on WAP site, scince some users have old phones, which don't support this kind of encryption. All modern computer browsers do support this encryption properly and as said above, most users are smart enough not to buy from a site without it.As for "how", here's a good kind of plan:1. Look for a coder to build a WEB site. By the way, ask for a tableless designs and CSS for mobile phones. This may cost you extra, but XHTML enabled mobile phones would be able to browse through the main site, bringing you extra possibilities. Of cource, that's all optional, scince you'll have a WAP site anyway.2. Look for host offers with options for SSL/HTTPS protocol. If they allow you to have both HTTP and HTTPS pages, it's the best. Otherwise, you'll need to support two kinds of (sub)domains (that's what I meant by saying that encrypting the protocol is only a "detail").3. Speak with the operators for the billing stuff and all.4. Build and fill the WAP site.5. Look for a SSL certificate issuer and get an SSL certificate. The most trusted one is VerySign though. You need it for proper SSL "trust" or so to say. You shouldn't get it before the WAP site is built, because before issueing, they check the organization's activities. Having a working WAP site would make it easier for them to issue you the certificate.6. Ask the coder to add E-Commerce system to the XHTML site and fill it's content.7. Import the certificate to your XHTML section of the site. Keep the WAP pages on HTTP. Ask the host or the coder for support. They are sure to know the tricks for this.Done.Most of the details in theese steps have people who know better how to deal with them. You are practically only requred to manage the whole thing.Cheers.

Thank you very much, you have been tremendous help and inspiration!I have great beliefs in this, think about it carrying your own shop in your pocket. People goes like, well what is this shop all about? what do you have? Then I say, you got a phone, see and browse there! You can even order Mecha toys and T-shirts.It is great, and so future!hehe, hopefully I will manage to pull something through. And I want to stay true, and legal, and NO JAMBA crap!Until next time...Have a good timeI´ll post up when I have the urges, for now I have enough to lay my hands on:-)PS. First initial WAP- test was successful, it is up! Have to polish the designs and stack it full of megabytes. :)