Tracking Id Numbers

ckrudelux

Need some help with id numbers.Let's say I create a row with some text in it and it gets an id number by auto_increment so I never know what number it gets and I have some options I want to add in an other table. How do I get the id number from the first table so I can add it to my second?

Example:Step 1 :Inserting sometext gets id number 66Step 2 :Inserting option: The text should be red where id is 66
hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

If two users post at the same time would this effect the id it gets?
It shouldn't. This gets the ID of the row you just inserted... at the time of the actual insertion, not at the time of calling the function. If two users post at the same time, MySQL will first solve the conflict, then give each client instance the ID of their row. Your ID may not be the last one if two users have posted at the same time, but it is sure that it will be the one the current instance posted.

It shouldn't. This gets the ID of the row you just inserted... at the time of the actual insertion, not at the time of calling the function. If two users post at the same time, MySQL will first solve the conflict, then give each client instance the ID of their row. Your ID may not be the last one if two users have posted at the same time, but it is sure that it will be the one the current instance posted.

Archived