Ie8 And W3schools.com

student101

I have been using this forum and W3schools.com for many of my PHP, CSS and general questionsW3schools.com wont load in Internet Explorer 8 (latest in XP)I posted this question in the MS forums regarding this issue, anyone else come across this?Loads fine in these;Firefox (latest)Opera (latest)Chrome (latest)

have you tried reinstalling it? Or maybe try in a different mode? IE7 or compatibility mode?
You wont believe that it's do with compatibility view!So which is it? IE 8 or W3schools?Add this to .htaccess file please;
BrowserMatch "^.*MSIE 8.*$" emulate_ie7Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=EmulateIE7" env=emulate_ie7

student101, please realize that you seem to be the only member who has a problem with this. Don't expect everyone to jump up right away and fix a problem that might not exist.In any case, it is not your job to suggest a solution. It is very kind to point out that you are experiencing a difficulty, but the discovery of a solution is up to the administrators, not one of us.

You wont believe that it's do with compatibility view!So which is it? IE 8 or W3schools?Add this to .htaccess file please;
BrowserMatch "^.*MSIE 8.*$" emulate_ie7Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=EmulateIE7" env=emulate_ie7

so does it work in compatibility mode? Just use that then. As DD says, it appears to be an error limited to you, so perhaps a little more tweaking on your part could solve it. What have you tried so far to address the issue?

student101, please realize that you seem to be the only member who has a problem with this. Don't expect everyone to jump up right away and fix a problem that might not exist.
So you can view this page; http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp in WinXP Pro SP3 IE8 v8.0.6001.18702 without compatibility mode?
it appears to be an error limited to you, so perhaps a little more tweaking on your part could solve it. What have you tried so far to address the issue?
I can't update XP Pro SP3 anymore, it's got everything MS thinks it's needs.
  1. Reset all zones to default.
  2. Reset all IE settings to their default.

The site works fine for me in IE8, may I suggest like thescientist recommends, you check the IE8 settings i.e. popup blocker, site security, etc, as it seemed M$ really child-proofed IE8! :)
Do you also view this page; http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp in WinXP Pro SP3 IE8 v8.0.6001.18702 without compatibility mode?

So you can view this page; http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp in WinXP Pro SP3 IE8 v8.0.6001.18702 without compatibility mode?I can't update XP Pro SP3 anymore, it's got everything MS thinks it's needs.
  1. Reset all zones to default.
  2. Reset all IE settings to their default.

Do you also view this page; http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp in WinXP Pro SP3 IE8 v8.0.6001.18702 without compatibility mode?

I don't typically browse with IE... but here you go.did you try reinstalling it?

I too have win7 (Ultimate edition), everything works on that OS (it's the ultimate OS developed apart from linux).All XP versions of IE8 wont run w3schools.com without compatibility mode enabled, note that I recommended a fix a few posts ago ^^^Regards
not true.

I must admit virtual PC / virtual box systems are questionable.
how so? I do a lot of work in VM on a daily basis for my employment because the platform we work on only works in Windows. If there was any question as to its stability, I'm sure we wouldn't be using it. My boss also has the same setup as me and we rely on it constantly and he's a hardcore mac guy and programming/developer. I'm sure the same thing would apply to bootcamp, which I used before, with IE8 and XP and worked in that environment with no issues either before I switched over this year. It either runs the OS correctly or it doesn't. Heck, being someone who follows the world of PC recording and dabbles in it too, I know people who use bootcamp for music production and that's more intensive than running a browser and they can get that to work, so...

It works on my (work) computer too. And on a real Windows XP SP3 too. I have a screenshot as well.The reason it may not work at your computer is likely due to add ons. Try to run IE in no add-ons mode (Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)) to see if that's the case. If it is, open up IE in normal mode, go to "Tools > Manage Add-ons", on the drop down, select "All add-ons", and start disabling any extension you don't know and/or trust.If even then it doesn't work, try to go to the "Advanced" tab in "Internet Options" and use the "Reset..." button.If it still isn't working, make a screenshot of all of your "All add-ons" list, and let us try to figure out which is the buggy add-on.

Forgot to add, if it didn't come through in my last post.It works, that is why I stated that someone changed something... (on w3schools.com side)It may very well be that someone changes things all the time.
So you mean now W3Schools finally works properly? And it's just that you don't know why?If so, I still think the reason was a buggy add-on. Restoring your system removed it, or on the very least - it detached it from IE.

If so, I still think the reason was a buggy add-on. Restoring your system removed it, or on the very least - it detached it from IE.
I can honestly say that's not it.Just reloaded a system restore of last week again, then loaded one made yesterday still working all the time - inlcuding reboot after each restore.

Archived