Webpage Don't Look Good On Other Browsers

rjapz

Hi guys, i really need your help. I just recently build a webpage for my friends marketing business, it was ready to upload ftp. Till I used the IE and Chrome browser to preview the pages, and pages table layout was all stretched out and the contents are uneven aligned, and the pages are stretched down longer then normal, on both browsers. I used Nvu to create the page, and when I preview the pages, Nvu uses firefox to preview. So I only viewed the pages with firefox all the time, and didn't noticed how it looked on the other browsers. Look at the images and see what I mean. 1. Firefox - this is how I normally see it, webpage centered and everything looks great.2. IE - and in IE, the contents, page are not centered like in firefox, and tables stretched vertically making the page longer.3. Chrome - And in Chrome, the page is centered, but the table layout stretches to the right, by looking at the right hand corner of the header, you'll see what I mean. And also the bottom of the page, where the footer is, that looks bad too.Help....Is there some html code to fix this, to look exactly like on firefox ?

Give us some codes where the problem lies.I also used to have this same problem when i Started. After then when i created a web page i thoroughly checked on every browsers available for differences.
Sure Remrow, thanx a lot, here's the link to the code

I have seen yr code.Problem is that u have used so many times-- margin-left: auto;margin-right: auto; td colspan.Try to avoid these, code in a simple table and inner table. And also try to use external css.I hope then this problem to see different in web browsers will be solved. As an example of simple table u can see alsohttp://www.denmark.euvatrefund.com/ or http://www.sweden.euvatrefund.com/.

This will probably sound rude, but I am not even going to begin to work with your existing code. It would be like fixing a bicycle made out of sticks. You would do much better to start over with the right materials.Despite what tansuree_10 says, tables are NOT a good way to layout your page. And using style elements in your page tags makes the problem impossible to visualize, both for us and for you (tansuree_10 is correct about that). Your style sheet does not have to be external to the document. You can put style tags in your head element for convenience.Start with a strict doctype and layout your page using containers (usually divs) and CSS. Learn about the float and clear properties. Not understanding how to use them is normally why people turn to tables.

I have seen yr code.Problem is that u have used so many times-- margin-left: auto;margin-right: auto; td colspan.Try to avoid these, code in a simple table and inner table. And also try to use external css.I hope then this problem to see different in web browsers will be solved. As an example of simple table u can see alsohttp://www.denmark.euvatrefund.com/ or http://www.sweden.euvatrefund.com/.
Hi Tanusree_10, Thanx. I looked at the 2 websites, and I see that the tables are stable and looks great, I want that. But I need the margins, It keeps the page centered, I delete those, and the whole page goes left, don't want that. So with CSS, will that help keep all the tables stable and centered? Or by looking at the code, what do you suggest?Robert

This will probably sound rude, but I am not even going to begin to work with your existing code. It would be like fixing a bicycle made out of sticks. You would do much better to start over with the right materials.Despite what tansuree_10 says, tables are NOT a good way to layout your page. And using style elements in your page tags makes the problem impossible to visualize, both for us and for you (tansuree_10 is correct about that). Your style sheet does not have to be external to the document. You can put style tags in your head element for convenience.Start with a strict doctype and layout your page using containers (usually divs) and CSS. Learn about the float and clear properties. Not understanding how to use them is normally why people turn to tables.
Yeah Deirdre's, that is kind of true, cause I do know a little of CSS, but not enough. So don't use tables? I should learn more on divs, float and clear properties, are these like tables?

Yeah Deirdre's, that is kind of true, cause I do know a little of CSS, but not enough. So don't use tables? I should learn more on divs, float and clear properties, are these like tables?
tables are only meant to display tabular data, not for laying out webpages. Read the CSS tutorials and you will find out what divs, floats, margins, etc are all about.

This page illustrates a very basic layout using divs and floats. The CSS page draws your attention to the structural properties that make it work. The rest is just decoration.
I saw the site source code, I see what you mean, can you send me the CSS code for the page? If possible, can you send it here. I would appreciate it Deirdre's Dad, I can really practice from this.Robert

The address of the CSS is embedded in the style tags at the top of the source code. Just paste it into your address bar.
Hi Deirdre's Dad , I redone the whole page, and used CSS's div and floats. I re-sliced the template down to 2 images. And so far everything looks good on most browsers except IE "IE8", and I need one last help from you. I can't get the page centered in IE, what's the trick to this?Here's the new code and imageRobert

block level elements (like div's) by writing margin: 0 auto. is correct in DIV but not use frequently margin-left and right and specially margin-bottom, it's most of time differ in cross browser checking--( Internet Explorer 6 mainly).
Huh? :) I think you're slightly confused. :) A 5px margin (whether it's left, right, top, or bottom) is a 5px margin.

and IE6 has been on its way out for a while anyway. Forget about not using margins; experienced designers use them all the time.

Archived