Specific Coding Q: $output Function

David_the Real

Why: I am posting this Q here because w3schools is the site I am always using for good reasons for my HTML and CSS needs - it's the best around! Now, this is a php Q and there are more specific php forums on the web, but I would prefer to stick with w3schools if permitted. So here it goes:What: In a wordpress plugin called twitter tools from Alex King is this line of code:

$output .= '		<li class="aktt_more_updates"><a href="'.aktt_profile_url($aktt->twitter_username).'">'.__('More updates...', 'twitter-tools').'</a></li>'."\n";

I have a general Q on this as I come across similar instances elsewhere. How do I get the "target="_blank"" in there? I tried to put it in various places where it *should* be, but it gives either fatal error, like in this place:

$output .= '		<li class="aktt_more_updates"><a href="'.aktt_profile_url($aktt->twitter_username).' target="_blank"">'.__('More updates...', 'twitter-tools').'</a></li>'."\n";

or does nothing.You realise, yes, I am not a php coder. In my days, back in the 70s and 80s we used assembler and pascal, later I learnt html, but never had time to learn another! language...Does anyone have a solution?Thanks for reading anyway.Cheers David

You just have an errant double quotation mark in your modified code - can you see it?
No, I have not, I can see every stroke. The first double quote belongs to the target="_blank" I added. The next double quote was there before, in the original code. Can you see it? I know it's hard to see, I tried to highlight with BB code but wasn't able to, probably because it's within a code section itself.

I don't see any doubling of a double quote in the original code... but in your addition, you have:

' target="_blank"">'

It should be

'" target="_blank">'

I don't see any doubling of a double quote in the original code... but in your addition, you have:
' target="_blank"">'

No, I have not. It seems to be difficult to see in the code box, hence now I post it without, but highlighted below:Look, this is the original bit, taken from my initial post:twitter_username).'"> #See the double quote already there?This is what I want to add:target="_blank" #See the double quote that belongs to the _blank?Consequently, this is the sum of both: red was original, blue is my addition:twitter_username).' target="_blank"">Hope this helps to see it.CheersDavid

I meant that it's normal (in fact required) that there be a double quote once at that point. But it's not normal (in fact invalid) to have two double quotes one after the other.Your addition looks like:twitter_username).' target="_blank"">but it should betwitter_username).'" target="_blank">

I meant that it's normal (in fact required) that there be a double quote once at that point. But it's not normal (in fact invalid) to have two double quotes one after the other.Your addition looks like:twitter_username).' target="_blank"">but it should betwitter_username).'" target="_blank">
I see what you mean. I should have added my code after the original ", not before! I had tried 3 variations but apparently not that one. Now I did as you said and voila! it works! :)Thank you so much!Was a stupid Q I admit - sometimes I just can't see the wood for the trees... :)If I can return the favour and do some coding for you? ... No I can't, I admit! :)

Don't worry, debugging is often the hardest part of the development process. A useful thing to do is to take your generated source and run it through the HTML validator - it will tell you if you have an HTML errors, and exactly where they are.