Thanks To W3schools...

wmtipton

Not sure where this belongs, but I really wanted to thank the creators and everyone involved with the main website.I have use web building software for a few years now but recently one of my clients has needed some manual coding with a few items we have showing in iframes and the information on this site has been a huge help as I know absolutely knowing about html or css style sheets...well, KNEW nothing about them.In just a few short days Ive gone from knowing nothing to actually being able to do a very basic website with a simple menu bar and a few pages, something I couldnt have done 10 days ago, and its been mainly due to the information on the main site and 'try it' helps that let me play around with the code.Thanks to all the devs !:)

I've been developing pages since 1994, and I still use W3Schools as a quick reference for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. (I forget a lot of small things, like if a value should be "none" or "normal.")When I need special clarification, I usually visit Mozilla's developer site or the recommendations at W3C. They are organized less conveniently, so I stick to this place when I can.

I only started building websites about 3 years ago, so I dont have a ton of experience. Ive mainly used WebPlus to make the sites.With the one client who wants a bit more than WebPlus will do, Ive had to mess around with some scripts here and there and try to figure them out, but still couldnt look at a css sheet and even begin to know what all that code was doing.After just a few days on this site I can actually look at HTML and CSS and figure out what I need to add or change to get what I want in most cases and have even managed to take two basic components presented in the tutorials and come up with a fixed position navbar that I wanted for some of my sites....an example is here: http://web77.org/sidenavbar/Not much, just a simple navigation bar, but exactly what I was looking for...simple and fixed so it stays on the page no matter how far down you scroll.Two weeks ago I wouldnt have even known were to begin, but in less than a couple hours I learned enough from the material here to figure out how to do it like that.Probably wont validate, Id think, but it works in every browser Ive tried it in, from IE8 to Safari and Firefox...so it works for me :)

So I ran the site with the navbar I made thru the validation thing...http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...lidator%2F1.654It comes up with one error now and 2 warnings;

1 Error, 2 warning(s)
The one I understand...I dont have the validation line up top before the html begins...I'll get round to that at some point later.What Id like to know is, since it isnt saying anything is wrong with the menu I did, does that mean that its done correctly ?Thanks :)

Eventually, you will want to write STRICT code, so it's always useful to have the validator check you against the strict doctype (there's a pulldown for that). Your biggest problem seems to be your <hr> element, which is not something to cry about. You could easily use a strict doctype now and just tweak things till you get them correct. It's worth it in the long run.As to your navbar. Not a thing wrong with it, and it works, so you have every right to be happy about it. Perhaps the technique is a bit old-fashioned. Worry about that when you feel like it.

Eventually, you will want to write STRICT code, so it's always useful to have the validator check you against the strict doctype (there's a pulldown for that). Your biggest problem seems to be your <hr> element, which is not something to cry about. You could easily use a strict doctype now and just tweak things till you get them correct. It's worth it in the long run.As to your navbar. Not a thing wrong with it, and it works, so you have every right to be happy about it. Perhaps the technique is a bit old-fashioned. Worry about that when you feel like it.
Thanks a ton for your input. :)I was playing around with links and iframes tonite, trying to duplicate something by hand that we've done with software for a long while now...which is links on the left loading content in an iframe on the right (soon to be objects instead).The validation again shows one error after I cleaned up a misplaced tag or two...http://web77.org/iframe-links/Does the code look ok to you ? I just used internal css instead of external for simplicity.Im basically looking at bits and pieces of html and css and trying to figure out what does what so its probably a bit archaic like the navbars.Hopefully I'll catch on to the tricks of the trade over time. :)

I also wanted to ask...is there any 'easy' way to get the object to do what the iframes are doing there ?http://web77.org/iframe-links/Id like to be able to use objects at some point, but if I cant get the links to load anything into them like the iframe does, I dont think I'll be able to set our sites up like I want.Is there a way to do it using html only ? Thanks:)

Frames are an outdated technology, and their use is discouraged. If you want to load content asynchronously, have a look at AJAX.

Frames are an outdated technology, and their use is discouraged. If you want to load content asynchronously, have a look at AJAX.
right...thats why I asked about objects :)I want to toss something out here again.Im 'new' to this coding thing. That means I just started. That also means that I might end up using outdated ideas for now. Its ok. Im not learning it all in one day, one week or even one month. again, its ok. When I gain more knowledge I'll rebuild my sites even better and learn along the way. Once more, its ok.I honestly hope this forum isnt like the other coding forums Ive had to overlook because everyone just assumes that newbies have to do it the way they would from day one and are going to be short about it.Frankly for some of my sites frames would be perfectly fine...outdated or not.And again Im just learning all of this html stuff, so for now I hope the gurus here can just bear with my questions by responding with something helpful on the topic that I inquired about.:)

I honestly hope this forum isnt like the other coding forums Ive had to overlook because everyone just assumes that newbies have to do it the way they would from day one and are going to be short about it.
I don't think you'll have to worry about that. :)The "gurus" here promote best practices, but will help you with what you need.

Guest Fabipro

Thanks to W3Schools. W3Schools es our technical reference in our daily work. W3Schools helped and helps me a lot.Now, I'm profesional developer, working in a new project:http://www.fabipro.com/This project wasn't possible without W3CSchools. :) Thanks a lot to all.

Archived