How Much Time

Err

I'm working on a per hour basis, the client wants me to fix a MySQL database link issue that is very difficult to track down because the database is enormous. Emphases on enormous. I haven't worked with this database before or the code that uses it, but as I understand it, the issue seems to be small. How many hours would you say I can spend trying to fix the issue? This is my first job of the sort and wanted to get the opinions of other developers on this so I can make a reasonable estimate of the time required.I would REALLY appreciate some input on this.

Charge them an hour to diagnose the problem. Tell them if you can also fix it in that hour, they still only owe you for an hour. At the end of the hour, if you haven't fixed it, estimate how much time it will take based on what you learned during the hour.That's pretty much the way your car mechanic works. He's not going to recommend a $2000 engine replacement, or not replacing it, based on your description of a sound or a stain on your driveway. He needs some time to look at the thing. And he'll charge for that time.

Thanks for your help guys. It's really helpful to to get input on this.

Archived