Sorting A List

Vegdawg

All,I would like to add a sort function to our web page that currently has a list of our publications, is it possible to add a sort function via javascript to sort the <li> by author or date. What would I need to do to the list items to enable a sort to proceed? I am not all that familiar with Java so the easier the solution the better for me. For an example of the list style I am referring to see: http://www.plantmineralnutrition.net/publicationsleon.htm I will add all the publications to a large list that I would like to be sortable if possible. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

so is this stuff coming from a database? You could do it on the server side, and then just include the code that will give the data <li> styling. If it's not from a database, you would probably have to do something where you create a string of each publication's text, checking the first letter of each and sorting like that. (is this alphabetical, btw?) A quicksort would probably help you out. Or maybe something with XML where you have all your publications in one giant file that can be updated as you add/remove titles, and then parse the XML in Javascript on the fly based on what sorting you need (name, date, author, etc).

This is not a simple problem with a simple solution. Not understanding javascript very well makes it a lot harder. The fact that your list is made with incorrect HTML makes it harder still.If you even want to begin with this, please learn how to format a list correctly. Here's a hint: a list is surrounded by <ul> or <ol> tags. Another hint: A <p> element cannot come between two <li> elements. Nothing but empty space can come between <li> elements. Do not use empty <p> elements to create empty space. It "works" now, but it could lead to unpredictable results.It would also be helpful if your <ul> element has an id attribute. That will make it possible to get a programming reference to the list.

The Scientist: The list is not from a database I created a list, and added the .pdf stored on a server. I am not sure how to proceed with your xml suggestion but I will surely research that method.Deirdre's Dad: Thank you for the hints to correct my HTML, I will make the proper changes, and add an <id> to the <ul> element I appreciate all your help, chances are I will be back with follow up questions, I appreciate you taking the time to look at my problem...

Archived