Next Programming Language?

JFab

Hello W3Schools,Today (March 9th) I became certified in HTML & CSS (view here). I found that web design, may be my true north, or where I want to exceed. So, after documenting my knowledge in HTML and CSS, what would be the next step? I know of many development and design languages, but I would like to go in order (starting at the bottom) and work my way up. I enjoy the ease of HTML, and CSS. So what language should I learn next? Thanks,-Jeff

Sadly, the ease is over. Your next step is probably Javascript, which is a whole different animal. There's a lot to know about Javascript, but it's going to be the language of choice for the next several years for creating dynamic interactive web applications.

Whatever you eventually end up doing (I recommend JS too), it will be completely different. HTML and CSS aren't even programming languages - rather, they are just descriptive languages that present information in a certain form.

I'd reccomend you go with PHP before going with JavaScript. PHP is much easier to debug (because you have just one server, whereas you have several browsers interpreting JavaScript...) and examine (because you see the output with "View Source", whereas with JavaScript you see a DOM tree by using developer tools), making it more suitable to teach you the larger part of programming concepts that are present in any other programming/scripting languages - JavaScript included.

Archived