Site Search Within Accordion Menus

niccio

Forgive my first post if it's in the wrong area, but frankly I don't know if this would need to be coded as java, css, html, etc!I have a website that I'm designing for my company's region. Within the website is several expandable menus using an accordion style expansion with sub-menus also in accordion style. ie;+Staff---+Washington------Spokane------Seattle+Sales---+Fruit------bananas---+citrus------oranges------lemonsetc, with the non-expanding menu items being links to other pages of information. What I'm trying to do is create a search box that will be on the page allowing users to search for specific items within the menus and will open the menus to the correct place. For example, if they search for "oranges" it will open "sales>Fruit>Citrus" and highlight "Oranges". Also, just to complicate things, I would like to have a "Next Result" button that when pressed would return either a pop-up stating "No more results>[OK]" or would close the previously opened submenus and do the same thing for the next instance of "Oranges".I have tried doing search engines like google site search, but so far nothing has been able to search within the menus that are not opened. I'm starting to wonder if this is even possible or if I have to have a search box that links to an index page with all of my links on it. Any ideas? I would love to have the search work the way I envision!Please let me know if anyone needs any clarification. Thanks!

Most of the hard coding would be in scripting. a client script (JS), to navigate the page, a server script and a database manipulating script for retrieving info from a server.You'll use HTML to display the information, and CSS to style and format it.

Thank you for the reply;I was hoping there would be a simple HTML or CSS script that would search the nested menus, but I kind of thought it might be a pipe dream!What I would really like to find, and have so far been unable to, is some kind of sample script that will give some kind of idea of how to perform this function. Anyone have any ideas? P.s. This site is supposed to go live in three weeks. I can post any part of the coding if it would help (some of it is "classified" by the nature of the business, it's not fruit :) ).Thanks!

Archived