Provide A Search Function Of Lan On Intranet

Guest Doris

Guest Doris

Hi,I'm not sure which is the correct forum to post this query in as the solution may involve multiple technologies. Over time I have developed a fairly primative intranet written in HTML/CSS/JavaScript and deployed from an IIS server. I have had a request recently to investigate the possibility of providing a search functionality via this intranet that would enable the user to search for files in particular folders using keywords or either by file content. I know I can programtically search through file content using ASP code and provide the results to the user. However, if we were to maintain keywords for each file, would this be best done via an index file or a database or some other method? Are there any pros/cons for either an index or a database and what technologies would be involved? (The search would not be a search of web files but files on our LAN). Sorry if this question is a little vague but web technologies are not my speciality. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide, Doris

A database would be faster, because it is optimised for fast indexing and searching. You'd have to go through a flat file sequentially.

Archived