bitmap resize: which one is correct?

student101

bitmap resize: which one is correct?

switch ($oFile['type']){ // which case below is correct?case 'image/bmp':case 'image/imagewbmp':case 'image/vnd.wap.wbmp':// which case above is correct? $oldImage = imagecreatefromwbmp($oFile['tmp_name']);imagecopyresampled($newImage, $oldImage, 0, 0, 0, 0, $newWidth, $newHeight, $oldWidth, $oldHeight);imagewbmp($newImage, $sFilePath); break;

The switch is constructed so that for all of the three cases, the below code would be executed - so there is no "correct" one, per se. For BMPs, image/bmp is commonly used[1]. The other two are for WAP bitmaps[2].Interestingly enough, there is no registered MIME type for the BMP file format[3]. image/vnd.wap.wbmp is registered for WBMP[2], however it is vendor specific (hence vnd)[4].

If the extension is BMP, filext on BMP says all of the following:

Mime type: image/bmp, image/x-bmp, image/x-bitmap, image/x-xbitmap, image/x-win-bitmap, image/x-windows-bmp, image/ms-bmp, image/x-ms-bmp, application/bmp, application/x-bmp, application/x-win-bitmap

In the PHP example on imagecreatefromwbmp, you have "image/vnd.wap.wbmp".I don't think any one of those MIME types is more or less "correct", though I'd choose that last one, only because it actually contains the word "wbmp" in it. If I was doing both BMPs and wBMPs, I may want to know which is which by the MIME type too.

Archived