getting a js file from different directory

Web Weenie

I have a directory for all my external javascripts and call it js. This directory resides on the same level as all my main html (home). I also have a directory of html pages that are meant to insert into an iframe called inventory. This directory also resides in the home level. These pages need to access a js script that is in my js directory. if I place the js inside my inventory directory - it works and I use this;<script type="text/javascript" src="dltable.js">I expected one of these to work when the script is in my js directory - no workie!<script type="text/javascript" src="..js/dltable.js"><script type="text/javascript" src="../js/dltable.js">Can someone please explain how to properly access a file that resides in a different directory. I guess this is another thing for my things I thought I knew, list!Do I need a preceding slash or something?TIA

It depends on what your file structure looks like."../" moves up one directory. If you're in the "html/" directory and on the same level is a "scripts/" directory, you have to write "../scripts/" to access it.

It depends on what your file structure looks like."../" moves up one directory. If you're in the "html/" directory and on the same level is a "scripts/" directory, you have to write "../scripts/" to access it.
Ok, that's what I thought, so something is wrong...Just to clarify; I have this structurehome = html directory where my main html files are, including index.htmlhome/js/dltable.js = where my external javascripts arehome/inventory/inv0001.html = this file needs to access home/js/dltable.jsDo I need to use the full path or is there a problem accessing a js from a different directory?This doesn't work??? <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/dltable.js">

This should work if the file structure is as you described:<script type="text/javascript" src="../js/dltable.js"></script>If it's not working then one of the files might not be where you think they are.

This should work if the file structure is as you described:<script type="text/javascript" src="../js/dltable.js"></script>If it's not working then one of the files might not be where you think they are.
Ok, I'm a bit redfaced on this one... Yes, it is working...I was testing locally on my desktop and I guess there is a problem doing this like that. Once I uploaded the js file and the page that calls it, it worked fine. There's a few hours I'll never get back...

Archived