HTML Form Elements - The Checkbox

iwato

QUESTION: How do you parse the $_GET string of a Form element containing <input> tags with the same name attribute, but different value attributes?BACKGROUND: The following code creates a $_GET string with two name attributes called "country" and "other". Although I am able to write code that captures the last value of the "country" name attribute and the only value of the "other" name attribute, I am unable to capture multiple values of the "country" name attribute when more than one checkbox is checked.

<form action="checkBox.php" method="get">	 <input type="checkbox" name="country" value="USA" />United States of America<br />	 <input type="checkbox" name="country" value="Korea" />Republic of Korea<br />	 <input type="checkbox" name="country" value="Japan"/>Japan<br />	 <input type="other" name="other" />Other<br />	 <input type="submit" value="Submit" /></form>

For example, if all of the boxes were checked and Morocco entered as the value of the other attribute, does the $_GET string take on the following format?

country[0] = "USA"country[1] = "Korea"country[2] = "Japan"other = "Morocco"

I tried using the foreach loop in a variety of ways, but could not get it to parse properly.Roddy

You have to put brackets after the input names, e.g.

<input type="checkbox" name="country[]" value="USA" />

You have to put brackets after the input names, e.g.
<input type="checkbox" name="country[]" value="USA" />

Yes, this is all it took! Great help, Synook!I was beginning to wonder, if I would have to write some sort of regular expression to do the job. Then too, I kept thinking that the developers of PHP would have made things simpler.Many thanks!Roddy

Archived