embedding an swf file into blog problem cheers

hansolo

what shows? I think the src need to be the actual .swf file itself, which isn't what I get when I view that src in the browser.

• 2 months later...

if you put an assets source (in this case a .swf file) in your browsers address bar, it should show the asset. If this file is not served locally on your own machine/server, you need an absolute path to it, which should be viewable in a browser, standalone. If you put that address you have in the src right now, it doesn't show something. It needs to link properly in order for it be embedded.

if you put an assets source (in this case a .swf file) in your browsers address bar, it should show the asset. If this file is not served locally on your own machine/server, you need an absolute path to it, which should be viewable in a browser, standalone. If you put that address you have in the src right now, it doesn't show something. It needs to link properly in order for it be embedded.
how can i refer to my file though which is place on the internet .<embed src="i cant just give the name of the swf file " As i dont have a server. do i refer to url address in the top bar example <embed src="http:// some name of a url" http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp<object width="550" height="400"><param name="movie" value="somefilename.swf"><embed src="somefilename.swf" width="550" height="400"></embed></object>//so i should use an embe tag and an object tag as below Note: In the code above there is both an <embed> tag and an <object> tag. This is because the <object> tag is recognized by Internet Explorer, and Netscape recognizes the <embed> tag and ignores the <object> tag.

right, so like I said, find the address to that file and try using that as the source. If you can't view it in your browser standalone, you can be sure it won't embed properly.

right, so like I said, find the address to that file and try using that as the source. If you can't view it in your browser standalone, you can be sure it won't embed properly.
what address the url. this so mutc easierr to upload from my own computer. Or i refer to my own cdrive.

www.w3schools.com is an address. www.w3schools.com/myflashfile.swf is also an address. If you have your flash file on someone else computer, then you need an address that specifies where the browser can find the asset so it can embed it into the page. So if you go to www.somehostingsite.com/myfiles/flash_for_my_website.swf, you should be able to see it and play it in your browser. That's a good sign, and then you should be able to embed the object into your page, using that address as the source for the tag. if your pages are hosted though, and you have a folder on a server with all your webpages, then you can just put the flash file in the same folder as the page its on, and all you have to do for the source is just src='flash_for_my_website.swf'

www.w3schools.com is an address. www.w3schools.com/myflashfile.swf is also an address. If you have your flash file on someone else computer, then you need an address that specifies where the browser can find the asset so it can embed it into the page. So if you go to www.somehostingsite.com/myfiles/flash_for_my_website.swf, you should be able to see it and play it in your browser. That's a good sign, and then you should be able to embed the object into your page, using that address as the source for the tag. if your pages are hosted though, and you have a folder on a server with all your webpages, then you can just put the flash file in the same folder as the page its on, and all you have to do for the source is just src='flash_for_my_website.swf'
can i upload the file from my computer then. My computer is not a server just yes or no> gonna have to break this conversation down slowlyso i can understand .

Yes, you can upload your file to any server. The src attribute of an embed or object tag needs to be a URL that ends in .swf. If it's not pointing directly to a SWF file, it's not going to load as a Flash movie.

Archived