Who has 800x600 monitors these days?

GhosteX

I suppose it is often a failsafe thing to keep the width of your website to 800 pixels if the width of the website is strict, kinda like the w3schools website. But I haven't actually seen a 800x600 monitor in a long time, does anyone still have those? I'm tempted to widen to 960 pixels, would that be a bad thing? Does anyone here still use 800x600 monitors? ###### the smallest monitor here at work defaults to 1152.

It is reasonable to optimize for 1024 wide. But know your users. 800px wide is still widely used by casual users at home. That could be important if, say, you're a public high school and must serve everyone. If your clients are mostly people at work, don't worry about 800.

Many companies, such as, say Choice Hotels International, may still be using smaller screens for their point-of-sale systems. They may also still be on dialup. They may even still be on satellite dialup. They may even still be using IE6 on an 800x600 screen with satellite dialup, but still expect your applications to work fine on their ancient systems.That being said, at home I'm more than happy with my 1920x1200/1200x1920 duals. Turns out in ConTEXT, on a 28 inch monitor rotated 90 degrees, you can get 135 lines of code on the screen at once. Sadly, I'm the only person in my house excited by this.

That being said, at home I'm more than happy with my 1920x1200/1200x1920 duals. Turns out in ConTEXT, on a 28 inch monitor rotated 90 degrees, you can get 135 lines of code on the screen at once.
:)
Sadly, I'm the only person in my house excited by this.
:)

The only reason I still see some people having 800x600 is because they think that's the only way to make text bigger, short of actually buying a bigger display... mostly senior users.I show these users the kinds of settings in Windows for that, and in 99% of the cases, the applications they use work with those settings, and so they keep it like I've adjusted it. The problem is not the 1% poorly written applications, but the fact that I'm just one person, and these kind of folks never want to bother "the youth" with their problems, unless they have a hardware failure or something like that.Besides, most other techies (at least the ones I know) won't even bother asking such users if they want the text bigger. I'm one of the few people I know that when confronted with a senior computer users always bothers asking "Would you like me to make the text bigger? Can you see it clearly?". In ~60% of the cases where I bother asking, they say they would indeed like that, and that they didn't asked, because they didn't thought it was possible.

The only reason I still see some people having 800x600 is because they think that's the only way to make text bigger, short of actually buying a bigger display... mostly senior users.
That. In my old job [as an IT technician], I once even had to make a person's resolution 640 * 480 - they just kept saying "it's too small, make it bigger".

That. In my old job [as an IT technician], I once even had to make a person's resolution 640 * 480 - they just kept saying "it's too small, make it bigger".
Didn't the "Apperance" settings do the trick? Or was that case in Windows 98 or something? I mean, that's how I do it in Windows XP at least.

I changed the DPI as well, but they still said it was too small :) it was a 17" monitor, too!

I changed the DPI as well, but they still said it was too small :) it was a 17" monitor, too!
And you also made the text as bold as possible? I once read an article (I don't remember where), where the guy made a usability test with a vision impaired user, and even on size 72pt, he kept saying "bigger". As soon as he tried (just for the experiment) to increase the weight, the user started saying it looks better... So,
Bigger = Increased Size && Increased Weight
It was only after I read that article that I started suggesting to people I increase their size in this fashion.

We're still talking about fonts, right?
This kind of equastion applies to many other (G-rated and not...) stuff, but yeah, we're still talking about fonts :) .

Archived