Drop down menu won't display in IE

neophyre

Gday,My drop down menu's won't display at all in IE, however they work as intended in FF/Chrome. Any one know of a quick fix? Also, my borders are breaking apart on the content div in IE due to padding, probably due to my poor attempt at centering the content and sidebar divs. See the blog page as an example. http://iconstudios.com.au/pages/about.phphttp://iconstudios.com.au/pages/blog.phpPlease note, everything's showing up fine in Firefox and Chrome, It's Internet Explorer that's giving me grief, please help!Edit: Also, since editting the float:left from float right, my footer now displays halfway up the page.

Hi there,have a look at my website: www.8november.netand see my drop down menu, maybe my coding is of help for you.cheers, Andreas from Australia*****

Gday,My drop down menu's won't display at all in IE, however they work as intended in FF/Chrome. Any one know of a quick fix? Also, my borders are breaking apart on the content div in IE due to padding, probably due to my poor attempt at centering the content and sidebar divs. See the blog page as an example. http://iconstudios.com.au/pages/about.phphttp://iconstudios.com.au/pages/blog.phpPlease note, everything's showing up fine in Firefox and Chrome, It's Internet Explorer that's giving me grief, please help!Edit: Also, since editting the float:left from float right, my footer now displays halfway up the page.

the doctype should be the first thing on your page. Since you are using a transitional DTD, chances are there will be inconsistencies cross-browser, notably with IE, as you are experiencing. I would recommend switching to a strict DTD and validating your page, which will most likely cause a few more errors, but will help you detect weaknesses in your code so you can address them. The issue with the footer may be solved by adding clear:both? Also, your some of your XHTML snytax is incorrect; all tags should be lowercase (but in your situation doesn't quite matter because everything's being defaulted to HTML 4.0 transitional because of how your page is starting.)

I see you didn't make all changes, arguably some of the more important ones. For reference, I am using your blog page.

the doctype should be the first thing on your page. Since you are using a transitional DTD, chances are there will be inconsistencies cross-browser, notably with IE, as you are experiencing. I would recommend switching to a strict DTD and validating your page, which will most likely cause a few more errors, but will help you detect weaknesses in your code so you can address them. The issue with the footer may be solved by adding clear:both? Also, your some of your XHTML snytax is incorrect; all tags should be lowercase (but in your situation doesn't quite matter because everything's being defaulted to HTML 4.0 transitional because of how your page is starting.)
There may be some issues with drop down's over other page elements, but without attempting to create a strictly validating page, trying to do any serious work in try to get IE to play nice is near futile.

I see you didn't make all changes, arguably some of the more important ones. For reference, I am using your blog page.There may be some issues with drop down's over other page elements, but without attempting to create a strictly validating page, trying to do any serious work in try to get IE to play nice is near futile.
Cheers, I actually did change the doctype, but I think website baker overrides the doctype, it's something I'll have to look into and get back to you about, currently I'm just experimenting with another drop down menu (http://sperling.com/examples/menuh/) apparently IE is very picky about the code used.

Is it you that's putting that extra <html> tag above the DOCTYPE, or your host? Either way, try to get rid of it, because it's definitely going to cause some problems.

Is it you that's putting that extra <html> tag above the DOCTYPE, or your host? Either way, try to get rid of it, because it's definitely going to cause some problems.
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you, problem solved - you deserve a beer! I never would have picked that up as I'd always thought <HTML> and <HTML DOCTYPE> were two seperate tags.

hey, that's what I was trying to say! Man, I wanted that beer so badly... :)
lol sorry mate, after reading your post again, I understand what you were trying to say now, you just said it in more words! I was racking my brains out because I had the doctype you mentioned! Thanks :)

• 1 year later...

That advice must have been such a help to solve the problem of the drop down menu in IE not displaying, which can be such a hassle when you want to get things done quickly!! It just shows that some of these problems can be so simple to solve and staring straight at your face and you still miss it and when we bring the issue into these forums they are taken care of within minutes – he certainly deserves that promised beer!!..............................vCloud

Archived