Personal Beliefs v Work

Err

What if you had to create, manage or edit a website about something you personally disagreed with? Say you are a Muslim and had to create a website for a Christian organization, would you not do the work because of your belief or would you still do it?I haven't personally ran into this problem, but it came across my mind when thinking about what work may be given to me. Then after a bit of indecisiveness on my part, I decided I would ask here. I could probably get people who have in fact ran into this problem and wanted to gage how reasonable it is to do or not do the work. The thought of doing work for something I don't agree with certainly has an unpleasant feeling. I would suppose it would be betraying my beliefs if I were to do such work.Even if you haven't had an experience like this, I would still like to know, what's your opinion?

Edited by RahXephon

Wait, what's wrong with a Muslim creating a Christian website?I suppose it depends on the severity of your belief clash - for example, I am atheist, but I wouldn't object to creating a Christian website (for an average reasonable Christian group) because while I personally don't believe in God, I don't necessarily reject the concept of religion and am of the opinion that the practice can have positive social impacts.However, I wouldn't create a website for a terrorist group, for example.

Wait, what's wrong with a Muslim creating a Christian website?I suppose it depends on the severity of your belief clash - for example, I am atheist, but I wouldn't object to creating a Christian website (for an average reasonable Christian group) because while I personally don't believe in God, I don't necessarily reject the concept of religion and am of the opinion that the practice can have positive social impacts.However, I wouldn't create a website for a terrorist group, for example.
Sarcasm?I did not intend to aim this solely at religion, but it is an easy pick since most people are more sensitive about religion than anything else. I want to be more general about it. Be that politics, racism, homosexuality, sports, abortion or any wide range of topics you don't agree with.How would you deal with not creating a terrorist website if it was part of your job to make it?

How would you deal with not creating a terrorist website if it was part of your job to make it?
How do you deal with rejecting drug or smokes if you don't want to "do" them? You just say "No."... in the same fashion... then again, if a terrorist group asks you to make a website for them, it may turn out thatNo = You - Your HeadSo you might want to keep it gentle in that situation, and then move from the country, ideally anonymizing yourself completely.

This question goes waaay beyond web design, doesn't it? Anyone can have an ethical problem doing any kind of work for any organization whose beliefs conflict with their own. I suggest you investigate boards that deal with workplace ethics in general. I'm sure this is a common question.

True, as DD said, this goes way beyond web design. However, I think that it is entirely up to you. Personally, it would depend on the severity of the clash, as Synook put it. If it's something that I feel strongly about then I'm not going to go against my beliefs, but if it's something that isn't really all that big of a deal then yeah I might consider doing it.Like I said, it really is your decision.

I wanted to keep this targeted on websites, I don't want to generalize the work. I wanted to know what people in this field of work have done about this problem since it's the only one I'm concerned with. I'm sure different jobs face different problems, but I'm not interested in those. It's arguable that this goes past web design; I feel that as long as we are talking about working on websites, it's relevant to the forums.Thanks for the input so far.

Edited by RahXephon

if the only issue was the technical capabilities of creating a website, then there wouldn't be any need to discuss the morality of creating a website, and thus the relevance to this kind of forum. Since this issue goes beyond the purely technical aspects regarding the creation of websites, then this this kind of topic isn't necessarily relevant to creating websites and this forum. Last time I checked, this kind of topic isn't found in the W3C spec of any langauge of the web that I've ever seen. Unless someone wants to prove me wrong... :)

Welll, accessibility in general is sort of an ethical issue... if you're not concerned with people with disabilities, that's considered ethically wrong... there are specs on that.If you ask me, it's OK that we discuss ethical issues here, as long as they also (at least loosely) relate to web site design and/or development, as is the case here.