Changing XML Format with XSLT

Guest TheBsEr

Guest TheBsEr

Hi, I would like to change the formatting of an XML file to a different format by using XSLT. For example,

<?xml version="1.0"?><root>  <row>	<id>1</id>	<fname>Dan</fname>	<lname>Wahlin</lname>  </row>  <row>	<id>2</id>	<fname>Heedy</fname>	<lname>Wahlin</lname>  </row>  <row>	<id>3</id>	<fname>Danny</fname>	<lname>Wahlin</lname>  </row>  <row>	<id>4</id>	<fname>Jeffery</fname>	<lname>Wahlin</lname>  </row></root>

And change to this format.

<?xml version="1.0"?><root>  <row id="1" fname="Dan" lname="Wahlin"/>  <row id="2" fname="Heedy" lname="Wahlin"/>  <row id="3" fname="Danny" lname="Wahlin"/>  <row id="4" fname="Jeffery" lname="Wahlin"/></root>

And vice versa. Also, how can I view the output as an XML format? I used w3schools editor and tried several things, but it seems their output is in html? (as in I won't see the <row id="1" fname="Dan" lname="Wahlin"> etc but instead as "1 Dan Wahlin". Or I might be doing something wrong.If someone could help me with the XSLT code, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is a stylesheet that transforms the child elements of 'row' elements into attributes:

<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="1.0">    <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>    <xsl:template match="@* | node()">	<xsl:copy>	  <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()"/>	</xsl:copy>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="row/*">	<xsl:attribute name="{name()}">	  <xsl:value-of select="."/>	</xsl:attribute>  </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

And the following stylesheet reverses transformation and transforms attributes into child elements:

<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="1.0">    <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>    <xsl:template match="@* | node()">	<xsl:copy>	  <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()"/>	</xsl:copy>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="row/@*">	<xsl:element name="{name()}">	  <xsl:value-of select="."/>	</xsl:element>  </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

As for running XML to XML transformations in the browser or with that w3schools editor, I don't think you will get far that way. Consider to use an XML editor (or XML/XSLT plugin to your favourite IDE or code editor) or consider to use an XSLT processor with a command line interface where you can transform to the console window or to a file.

Archived