innerHTML creating new window

rogerio

When this code is run and the button clicked, it wipes out the existing code; how can this be prevented?

<html>	<head>		<title>Use script to create html tags</title>		<script type="text/javascript">			function Italic()			{   document.getElementById("test").innerHTML="<p><i> Some italic text.</i>";			}		</script>	</head>	<body bgcolor="white" id="test">		<b>Some bold text.</b>		<input type="button" value="Push Me" onclick="Italic()" />	</body></html>

Use a concatenation operator instead of a simple assignment operator. I mean += instead of plain =, as inelement.innerHTML += "Hello";which is shorthand for element.innerHTML = element.innerHTML + "Hello";The innerHTML now contains everything it contained before, and "Hello" is appended to it.A more complicated answer is to target a container element more specifically. But I see this is a test run, and you may already be thinking in that direction.

• 1 year later...

It is really such a help that we can come here with our doubts and get helpful suggestions and advice for our confusions which will help us to save a lot of time and effort!! It was really interesting to read the solution to innerHTML creating a new window and how to add text to the already existing one. The answer seemed to have bee rather simple and I am sure that we’ll have more of such similar doubts here!!

It is really such a help that we can come here with our doubts and get helpful suggestions and advice for our confusions which will help us to save a lot of time and effort!! It was really interesting to read the solution to innerHTML creating a new window and how to add text to the already existing one. The answer seemed to have bee rather simple and I am sure that we’ll have more of such similar doubts here!!

Archived