Relational Database

legacy800

Hello,I have tried searching for "Relational Database" to try and find some info about how to make such a database with phpMyAdmin, but information about this seems to be a bit rare to find even on these forums.Maybe im searching for the wrong thing, but to explain why I want to use this.I want one table with the row games and a primary id row linked to another table wich holds multiple images for each game.This way being able to select a game and displaying all the images that go with that particular game on a page with php.Structured something like:Tables Games:GameIDGamesGenreTables Images:ImageIDGameIDImagesI did read something about innoDB, maybe somebody has a tutorial on this.Only problem was I did find some tutorials but im very new to this so it needs to be understandable for a beginner.Greetings,Legacy

If you really want the database to enforce that rule, then you do need to create the tables using the InnoDB storage engine, and you can create a foreign key relationship between the two tables. phpMyAdmin doesn't have a button for creating a foreign key (as far as I know), so you'll need to use a SQL statement to define that.Most web applications using MySQL do not have the database enforce these constraints, instead the application itself checks for that (e.g. when you delete a record from the games table, you would also delete all associated records from the images table).http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/inn...onstraints.html

check out this link:http://www.mytechmusings.com/2008/04/using...s-in-mysql.htmlits a video tutorial on creating FK's through phpmyAdmin. Basically you first change the db engine for tables that have a relationship to the InnoDB engine. Then you go to the Structure tab, and click the 'index' button on the field that will be a FK. Then you scroll down and click on Relation View and thats where you can specify the relationship.

Archived