Get date of file from server

I am having trouble getting the date to display properly from the server, I have tried many different ways and it is just not working.My table structure is set to TIMESTAMP and when I all something new through phpmyadmin I set the time to NOW. So it posts the current time of when I created the file. Now my issue is getting it to display properly.

//$timestamp = $row['uptime'];//$file = $row['uptime'];//$lastmod = date("m-d-y", time($file));$uptime = time($row['uptime']);//echo date("m-d-y",$timestamp);$select = ("SELECT * FROM photo_albums ORDER BY uptime DESC LIMIT 5 ");$result = mysql_query($select) or die(mysql_error());while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {echo "<li>"	."<span class='lpBold'>".$uptime."</span><br/>"		."</li>";

You can kind of see the different methods I have tried to get the proper time, unfortunately none of them have worked.I just want the date to be displayed like: 04-14-10Thanks for the insight,Brian