How to save the word: Café to a database!

wilsonf1

I just can't get my head around this problem.I have a CMS and need to save foreign content to it so the word Café comes up a lot. - Notice the accent on the E!But when the data comes back into a textarea I don't want é replaced with & #233; - i want to physically see the characters that were put in the CMS. Any conversion functions I've created or dreamt up just haven't worked.So what can I do to keep the database, the html text areas and my content writers all happy?!Thanks!!

further info.....when i response.write the request.form - i don't see the é i just get a square or broken character symboli've also tried picking up the é by doing a replace on the following with NO matches found:ééchr(233)this forum seems to cope pretty well with the characters so how is it done?!

More info:when i response.write my update query: the word Café is in my SQL - if i run that SQL from a NEW QUERY window in sql studio 2008 the character goes into my table perfectbut executed from my ASP page i get weird conversion on the table??

when i response.write my update query: the word Café is in my SQL - if i run that SQL from a NEW QUERY window in sql studio 2008 the character goes into my table perfectbut executed from my ASP page i get weird conversion on the table??
That means your ASP page isn't using the correct character set. Make sure the data is being sent to the server as UTF data.

That means your ASP page isn't using the correct character set. Make sure the data is being sent to the server as UTF data.
do you know what - my charset was utf-8 the whole time and when i tried iso-8859-1 my problem just disappearedis there any concern with me using iso-8859-1 if i only want to use european languages?

Archived