SMTP server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

jkSandy

Hi;I am new to trying to send email via php and get the (apparently common) error message SMTP server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay.I am using myphpadmin locally before moving to the web server.I have gone to control panel and set the Default SMTP Virtual Server relay to my local machine's ip address; bottom checkbox checked.It seems the mail code in php is working but the SMTP on the machine is not.Any help would be appreciated.

The first suspect would be your firewall, make sure that your firewall has all traffic (incoming and outgoing) allowed on TCP ports 25, 465, and 587. Port 25 is used for normal SMTP, and the other two are used for SSL SMTP for various servers.

Thanks for the reply.I did a telnet and you are correct it could not make a connection. Any advice on trouble shooting?
It is interesting. I can't set up outlook 2002 for smpt on port 465. Att says it is an outlook issue. They did temporarily allow traffic through port 25 which solves the outlook smtp problem but the php sendmail still won't send.

So the SMTP server is on a remote computer? In that case, you might have to authenticate to it. To do that, you'd have to send some additional headers with your username and password on that server (I'm assuming you have some).I don't know the exact headers and stuff to send with mail(), but with it's easy with Zend_Mail.

Archived