Smartphone Widget Creation

chibineku

This may well be in the wrong forum, but I couldn't decide what one fit best and I am discussing XML based rich internet apps, so..I am interested in getting into smartphone app creation and have discovered the Blackerry Widget Packager which will turn XML, CSS, HTML/server script and JavaScript into DLable BlackBerry apps with access to the hardware via JavaScript. This is brilliant, as it saves me learning Java ME! I have searched on the Apple website for information about similar JavaScript device APIs and haven't found anything yet and, frustratingly, I can't seem to get into the Apple developer forum to ask my questions there.So, does anyone know if this can be done on the iPhone/iTouch or any other smartphone platform? I am not afraid of getting my feet wet in Java/Objective C etc, but it would be great if I could simply adapt and extend my current skills and leverage them to making rich apps for a variety of smartphones.

iPhone applications must be written in C, C++ or Objective-C; Apple recently changed the developers agreement to disallow applications written in other languages. WebOS already uses the web technologies aforementioned, and you may be able to find some for the other platforms, I don't know of any though.

Thanks for the info, Synook. I will be learning one of the C variants, I suppose. At least I should be able to get an idea of how to design and operate applications quickly on the BlackBerry while I get up to speed in C.

Further to earlier posts on this topic: I recently found out about an application called PhoneGap which will turn your HTML, CSS and JavaScript into native apps for iPhone, Blackberry, etc. etc. without the need for any C/Java knowedge. It's really excellent, though not exactly intuitive to use. I recommend reading Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS and JavaScript, which takes you through the whole process or designing your app to resemble a real iPhone app, packaging it, and submitting it to iTunes. I am not getting comission, I swear :-p I've started learning C++ anyway, because I like learning new things, but for the time being will turn my attentions to widgets and PhoneGap apps.

Archived