Using DOM to change the onClick command

george

How can I change the event handler using DOMHere is one of the many wrong ways I have tried to do this.

document.getElementById('expAll').event.onclick="expandAll(false)";

expAll is the ID of an anchor tag.expandAll(false) is a javascript function. The entire code can be seen at My WebsiteI may be able to switch the event handeler using just the javascript function itself. But I do not know how to create a variable in Javascript that will switch and retain the value of a logical variable.

First and foremost, apply the callback on the onclick object. There's no "event" object in a DOM element*. Second, specify a reference to the function. Example:

document.getElementById('expAll').onclick=expandAll;

Specifying expandAll(false) will mean that the result of the function will become the event handler. Unless expandAll(false) returns a reference to a function, that's probably not what you want.* The callback function however receives one argument that is an event object. It contains information about the event such as the (in this case) clicked element, the button(s) pressed, etc.

First and foremost, apply the callback on the onclick object. There's no "event" object in a DOM element*. Second, specify a reference to the function. Example:
document.getElementById('expAll').onclick=expandAll;

This simulates the onclick event. I want to reset what happens when the element is clicked. I end up in a continuous loop.
function expandAll(bValue) {	 Alert(bValue);	 if bValue {		document.getElementById('expAll').onclick=expandAll(false);	 } else {		document.getElementById('expAll').onclick=expandAll(true);	 }

I want to reset what happens when the element is actually clicked.

tryfunction expandAll(bValue) { alert(bValue); if (bValue == true) { document.getElementById('expAll').setAttribute('onclick', 'expandAll(false)'); document.getElementById("expAll").onclick = function(){expandAll(false);};//IE document.getElementById('expAll').innerHTML="false"; } else { document.getElementById('expAll').setAttribute('onclick', 'expandAll(true)'); document.getElementById("expAll").onclick = function(){expandAll(true);};//IE document.getElementById('expAll').innerHTML="true"; } }<a href="java script:void(0);" id="expAll" onclick="expandAll(false);">false</a>

Archived