widescreens and my html documents

kingb00zer

hey i recently started working with a pc which has a widescreen monitor and I'm not entirely sure if this has effected the output of my html documents (i also started my work from scratch). If not then lets say I wanted to set 3 tables side by side at the top of my page and I wanted it to span the whole way on both widescreen and normal screen monitors how far does the width have to = in order to fill the screen without going over the sides? I thought it was a total of 1000 but so far the 3 tables total a width of 1350 with room remaining.

Hmm, all monitors have different resolutions, even among those with widescreen or standard aspect ratios. Common screen widths include 1024, 1280, 1366, 1440, 1680, 1920 and 1650 pixels.

I don't get you are trying say?a fixed table of 1000px, in a 1024 pixel wide resolution screen, will fit tightly, but when viewed in 1400, or 1600 pixel wide resolution screens, there is obviously going to be a difference of 376px(1400 - 1024), and 576px (1600 - 1024).It all depends on layout, but if want fluid tables to stretch total width what ever screen resolution, use percentages for widths for tables, if 3 tables use 33% width on each.

so you think using % for width with css would be the best way to ensure all users have the page fitting on the screen without that annoying side scroll that occurs sometimes?

oh i see, that works fine, now time to figure out exactly what percentage I am using on the 2 smaller tables... Thanks :)

Thanks that saves me from doing what i dreaded having to do and making both a widescreen and regular screen version :)

Archived