VIDEO

HTML5

<video src="vid.wmv" controls="controls">your browser does not support the video tag</video>Why does this not work?I am using notepad to learn HTML, CSS etc and am using files from my computer. I even inserted an URL for a Youtube video and it did not work eitherWhat am I doing wrong?Thank you-- O_O

The <video> tag is HTML5 only, so it won't work in many older browsers (including IE8). Furthermore, the tag only can be used to link to videos of certain types (H2.64 in all browsers except Firefox, which uses Ogg Theora), not Windows Media Videos, and you definitely can't just shove arbitrary URLs in it.

OPPSOk now I understand what .ogg was, thanks for explaining that.For example: If I wanted to show an youtube video on my website how would I do this?EDIT: Any way I can convert my .wmv videos to .ogg?

OPPSOk now I understand what .ogg was, thanks for explaining that.For example: If I wanted to show an youtube video on my website how would I do this?EDIT: Any way I can convert my .wmv videos to .ogg?
You could google it.I found several websites with tons of information on converting to ogg theora http://www.ehow.com/how_5093042_convert-avi-ogg-theora.htmlThis is only one.dink

You can embed Youtube videos using a standard object tag (as you would for other Flash content). If you go to a Youtube video, it should provide markup for embedding the content.

Thanks dink and Synook!Is there anywhere you can get a free converter for converting .wmv to .ogg? All I have found are the ones you have to pay for. The free ones are rated red by W.O.T so apparently they're not trustworthy...

The free and open source VLC Media Player can, despite its name, convert between many different formats, including WMV and Ogg Theora.

Ok thank you very much for linking me up with that I am downloading it right now :)

Ok new problemI was able to convert the video from .wmv to .ogg Thanks to you all for helping me on that.But now every video I convert plays in slow motionHow do I correct this problem?BTW: I am using (VLC Media Player) to convert the videosand this is the code which I know has nothing to do with the slow motion problem but you never know :)

<video src="vid.ogg" controls="controls">Your browser does not support the video tag!</video>

And also how would I make the videos playable on IE or other browsers? Do I need to change the video format to something else or change the code? Or both?

IE just doesn't understand the video element, you'd need to embed it the old-school way (i.e. using <object>). For Chrome, Safari, and the other modern browsers you can use H2.64.About the playback speed, umm, does it do that if you open the video file on your computer?

It plays slow motion on my computer too, but if I leave it in .wmv it plays full speed. Why is that?Ok thanks so If I wanted to keep using using <video> How would I do both .ogg and H2.64? Or do I have to use <object> instead?

If it's playing slow on your computer it means that the video converter converted it wrong.Usually the best way to show a video on all browsers is to use a Flash video player.

Archived