Site 'shifts' if I delete a table

THRobinson

Not sure how to describe this but...I made a page for a site, got it setup how I like etc. then just saved multiple copies of it under different names for each page of the site. When I toggle from one page to the next everything is cool, however, the main page, when I delete no longer needed tables, the site shifts to one side by a good 15px.I have a table setup at 950px wide set to centre of the screen. Inside that table I have tables and tables-in-tables etc... and its when I delete the inner-inner tables it shifts. The overall size remains at 950px and centre.Any ideas why it would do that?I have a 22" Samsung set at 1680x1050, and I have viewed the site on my Mac (Safari) and my PC (IE8/FireFox3) and same thing, though a buddy of mine has a 19" monitor and says he barely sees the shift.I'm also using Dreamweaver CS3 on a PC, if makes a difference.Can anyone spot what I'm missing? Not really a web designer, just learning as I go so, probably obvious what I missed to most people.ThanksShifthttp://www.thomashrobinson.com/shift001.htmlNo Shift (the way it should be compared to the other pages)http://www.thomashrobinson.com/shift002.htmlScreen Shot Samplehttp://www.thomashrobinson.com/test.jpg

... ug... I think I may have it figured out....scroll bar on the right side disappears. Friend didn't see it because at 1024x768 there is always a scroll bar...

I have no idea how to do it otherwise... and sadly not enough time to learn. :)What should be used? To keep things in a grid tables seemed the right way...Also, if anyone knows... is there a way to centre the site ignoring the scrollbar?Thanks

The easiest thing is to always have a scrollbar. That way everything is guaranteed to look the same. Quick and dirty approach? Make this the last element of your document, right before the closing </html> tag:<div style="height:2000px"></div>There are more elegant approaches, depending on whether you have a footer, if it's a sticky footer, and so on.

I have no idea how to do it otherwise... and sadly not enough time to learn. :)What should be used? To keep things in a grid tables seemed the right way...Also, if anyone knows... is there a way to centre the site ignoring the scrollbar?Thanks
Using <div>'s and CSS. Often, people use margin: 0 auto on a container div in order to center their site with the available window size, and typically they will make the width of that container something like 80% or 960px to ensure that it looks good in most window sizes.

Ah, sadly I don't know CSS... would like to and plan to learn, but for now, I need a site up ASAP so I can send out resumes and such as a designer (print design mainly, not web) and photography.But I'll copy that tidbit of info down and once I have a site up, I'll try working on CSS for a revised version of the site.Thanks guys.

It's all good... did the div tag and added space at the bottom and just kept the scrollbar there.Tried searching online for the initial problem which I couldn't find a solution... likely because nothing was wrong, just didn't think to check the scroll bar as the cause. :)

Archived