W3Schools not working in IE

Guest Carl Martin

Guest Carl Martin

I'm new to the forum, but a long-time fan of W3Schools. Many months ago, I noticed W3Schools was no longer visible in Internet Explorer (currently, I'm using IE8 on Win Vista Home Premium). I checked in Firefox, and noticed a new "look" for W3Schools with a green theme.Mostly this is not a problem. Whenever I want to check something at the school, I use Firefox. But Firefox has its own problems. I can't get "save page as" to work. If I want to save a page from the school, Firefox, for many months, would not save anything. I posted a suggestion there to fix this. Now, Firefox saves a blank (empty) htm file with a folder full of the pictures and other resources. Why save pages from the school? Glad you asked. I don't always have internet connection where I live, and sometimes need to refer to important information while working on a project off-line.Now, I notice W3Schools home page is visible in IE, but clicking on links brings up only blank pages. Viewing source shows that the last two lines are,

</head><body>

All "head" and no "body!" Wow! Please fix. When I need my W3Schools fix, I really, really need it. :)

Perhaps there was a problem at some point... maybe there were experimenting with something at the time... it works fine now though. I also use IE8, though on Windows 7, and I see no problems. The home is a valid XHTML Transitional page, so it should at least appear in all browsers.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having the same problem with the site not displaying in IE8 unless I switch to compatibility view. The only page that is working outside of compatibility view is the home page. Looking at the source of the pages that are breaking, it looks like the script is crashing out at a certain point, possibly when checking the user agent string? Just a guess though based on some IE8s working and other browsers being ok, so it could be an addon name in the user agent string.My user agent string for IE8 is:-[HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; FDM) Compatibility mode:-[HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; FDM)Edit:Just tried to view the site in IE8 x64 and it worked without being in compatibility view[HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)

Just another update,I've uninstalled FDM from my computer and the site now works. It looks like the theory of the site breaking with the user agent string for IE8 when something non-standard is in the string is correct because w3schools is the only site I've had problems with.[HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)(Note that without the "; FDM" at the end, the site now works)It is odd how the IE8 Compatilibity View (user agent being IE7) had the FDM in and didn't have the problem.I think someone needs to look at the code in the site because users shouldn't have to uninstall a plugin to make the site work properly.

Archived