Functions Question

Selacius

Hello, I used to frequent these forums a while back while creating my Web-Based PHP Game. I've recently got back into it but upon looking it seems I have deleted all of my files, therefore I have to start fresh. I have run into a problem with Functions and cannot for the life of me remember how to get past it. I am calling a function with the intent that the function will fill in two values of the same array (a value in 0 and a value in 1), and then update a third array. However, no matter what I do, it seems that during the calling of the function the variables get updated, but checking after the function is called, the variables revert to 0. Here is the function:

function playerstart ($map, $id, $playerdata) {		$startx = rand(1,24);		$starty = rand(1,24);		if ($map[$startx][$starty] == " ") {			$playerdata[$id][1] = $startx;	//X Starting Location			$playerdata[$id][2] = $starty;	//Y Starting Location			$map[$startx][$starty] = "*";		}		else {			playerstart ($map, $id, $playerdata);		}		echo $playerdata[$id][1];	}

Passing variables like that will only pass a copy of the variable, where the changes are only visible to that one function. If you want to pass a reference to the variable, where after the function ends the changes to those variables are visible to everything else, you can put a & before the parameter names to indicate that they are being referenced instead of copied.function playerstart (&$map, $id, &$playerdata) {

Archived