Forum suggestions

ancarius

Ok, so...I came in today to check for alternatives to some PHP question and I noticed that although there are a lot of questions and issues in the PHP forum there's nothing that actually marks the fact that the topic is resolved or not......or it's just way too subtle for me to notice. Shouldn't there be some marker or something that could show us if the post is actually resolved or not? That would be really useful.And the second thing is that I noticed that there's a scoring system in the forum but I'm guessing that it scores based on number of posts. Couldn't we get one for useful answers? I mean it's more fun when you get to level up based on useful posts rather than spam. :)Cheers

Besides posts, each member has a "rating" in his profile that other users set. It's not very prominent indeed (i.e. it isn't shown with every post), but AFAIK, we can't make it be.Not marking topics as resolved has it's good side too. It encourages alternative solutions to the issue at hand that may be better than the original solution, or if the OP has a new related problem, (s)he may use the same topic, instead of creating a new one (which is good, because (s)he doesn't need to tell the whole story again).

I like the idea of a resolved tag, though I agree with boen_robot that it encourages further discussion if you go into a topic not knowing if it's resolved.I sometimes post on another fourm, stackoverflow.com, and I dislike their points/kudos system. Sure, you get a lot of response to your question, but you also get duplicate answers which are substantively the same and you tend to get less explanation.The relaxed atmosphere on this forum is brilliant and encourages understanding and learning as opposed to solutions to be copied verbatim.

Never thought of it that way. I agree, not having a resolved tag does offer more opportunity to alternative response but at the same time it would be nice to know. The only thing I don't get is why people keep making duplicate posts instead of just looking for ones that already have been answered.As for the upside of a rating system, people usually tend to work more if they have some incentive. :) I mean, it worked for Yahoo.

The only thing I don't get is why people keep making duplicate posts instead of just looking for ones that already have been answered.
Because your problem will often be phrased differently by others. And when it's not... that's just laziness and hastiness.
As for the upside of a rating system, people usually tend to work more if they have some incentive. :) I mean, it worked for Yahoo.
Maybe... there's just one problem - we don't "work" here.

Archived