analogstudios.net redesign

thescientist

Hey guys. Just finished up a redesign of my studio site over the weekend. Had been putting it off for a while, but finally pushed through it the past couple of weeks and got it out the door, minus a couple fancy things I still want to add. Anyway, the site is primarly a CMS based site which you'll probably able to tell once you get around there, and is my first real solo foray into that type of work. For those who like a technical challenge, I have a couple of quirks still left unresolved, so if you could provide technical and/or conceptual feedback, it would all be appreciated. And if you're music fans in particular, let me know what you think of the music and/or recordings. Sweet, read below for the quirks if you feel up to it!www.analogstudios.netQuirksI did my best to get this to look right in all browsers (tested in Opera, Safari, FF, Chrome, and IE7/8 all on OSX and Win where applicable), but alas there are little bugs that I wasn't able to figure out. Bonus points for the answers? :)1) Menu :hover in Chrome and Safari (OSX/Win) doesn't work and doesn't change the icon on the left. Works fine in all other browsers. Could be because of the way its being set up, with "backwards" child selectors. Much thanks to Dierdre's Dad for helping me to get work in the first place though as well as it does.2) In IE7, on the view_artists pages, the text in the left sidebar doesn't align inline like in other browsers (even though the header tags are set to display otherwise).3) Also in IE7, when viewing a picture album, the picture counter at the bottom of the page doesn't work. It works by setting the value of a hidden input (because of an issue I was having with the javascript function). Everytime you click the next or previous arrow, this hidden value is read and changes accordingly, but not in IE7. It just stays at 1 the whole time.4) I have some funky validation errors on the contact page, even though I use the same contact form on another site of mine and it passes validation perfectly. I think my view artist page doesn't pass because of special HTML entities being saved in the database that I couldn't figure out how to get to display on the page right so as not to throw off the validators alarms. Justsomeguy knows well of my troubles getting my text out of the DB so I was happy to just have it working, but if its an easy fix, then I'm all about it.All in all, I'm fairly content. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and the way it functions. Hopefully you guys will think that too. Peace.

Using Firefox 3.6.3.Looks nice. The only thing that seems a bit "off" is that the header image extends beyond the right side of the container if the page width is reduced. The other thing I noticed is that the header image is kinda big- almost 250K. Might want to slim that down a bit if possible. Other than that, looks good to me.

Using Firefox 3.6.3.Looks nice. The only thing that seems a bit "off" is that the header image extends beyond the right side of the container if the page width is reduced. The other thing I noticed is that the header image is kinda big- almost 250K. Might want to slim that down a bit if possible. Other than that, looks good to me.
hey, thanks for the feedback. I took a look at the header and saw exactly what you meant. It should be fixed now, I just had a simple selector missing from my stylesheet. Much thanks on the image size too. For some reason I saved it as .png initially because that's what I always use at work, but I changed it to a more sensible format now.

You're welcome, glad I could help.On another note, I gotta say....the quote that you have at the bottom of your posts is probably more than a little insulting to anyone of the female persuasion. Some of the best programmers I know are women. I understand, though- not being overtly sexist is hard. If it were "simple" then you'd see a lot more people from Rhode Island doing it. :)

Archived