unset generating write context error?

Greywacke

hi there,i receive the following error:

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/dwtphovu/public_html/intellisource.co.za/test_8347379386/private/request_salespages.php on line 89
Line 89 being:
unset(current($GLOBALS[$sarray]));

$sarray is set at the start of the function as follows, depending on the page level array that must be deleted from:

function dropattribs($status) {	switch ($status) {		case 2:			$sarray = "mailaddp";			break;		case 4:			$sarray = "mailaddl";			break;		default: // 0			$sarray = "mailadds";	}	foreach ($GLOBALS[$sarray] as $sdata) {												// begin iterate suppliers array		$arr = split(";;;",$sdata);													// split supplier array		$sid = $arr[6];														// get supplier id		foreach ($GLOBALS["attribsarr"] as $key => $value) {									// begin iterate form attributes			// select current attribute key and bound values for supplier that are not supported			$tsql = "SELECT 3_serviceattributes.text_AttributeDescription, 3_serviceattributes.text_AttributeValue FROM 9_supplierattributes JOIN (3_serviceattributes) ON (9_supplierattributes.bigint_AttributeID = 3_serviceattributes.bigint_AttributeID) WHERE 9_supplierattributes.bigint_ServiceID = ".$GLOBALS["service"]." AND 9_supplierattributes.bigint_RegionID = ".$GLOBALS["region"]." AND 9_supplierattributes.bigint_SupplierID = ".$sid.";";			$result = mysql_query_errors($tsql, $conn , __FILE__ , __LINE__ , false);			if ($result) {													// begin if mysql result				while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {								// begin while suppliers !attribs					// begin if attrib key and value in db key and value					if (stristr($key,strval($row["text_AttributeDescription"])) != false && stristr($value,strval($row["text_AttributeValue"])) != false) {							// drop current $i from $mailadds/p/l array							unset(current($GLOBALS[$sarray]));					}													// end if attrib key = db key				}														// end while suppliers !attributes				mysql_free_result($result);			}															// end if mysql result		}																// end iterate form attributes	}																	// end iterate suppliers array}

somebody please help, these incongruencies need to be solved today - i have searched the net, but i can't seem to find a solution for this error when using unset to drop an array element.

Would not current($GLOBALS[$sarray]) return the value of the current array element? This would mean that unset is trying to remove a value rather than a variable? That would explain the error. Unset is a kind of write operation. You cannot write to a value.As I say, I am guessing. It would depend on how deep your arrays are nested. You might try as an experiment using:var_dump(current($GLOBALS[$sarray]) )just to see what you are trying to unset.I also wonder about the use of current in this context. From the manual's discussion of foreach:

foreach has some side effects on the array pointer. Don't rely on the array pointer during or after the foreach without resetting it.
My own small experiment with current in a foreach loop yielded very strange results.

Would not current($GLOBALS[$sarray]) return the value of the current array element? This would mean that unset is trying to remove a value rather than a variable? That would explain the error. Unset is a kind of write operation. You cannot write to a value.As I say, I am guessing. It would depend on how deep your arrays are nested. You might try as an experiment using:var_dump(current($GLOBALS[$sarray]) )just to see what you are trying to unset.I also wonder about the use of current in this context. From the manual's discussion of foreach:My own small experiment with current in a foreach loop yielded very strange results.
well unfortunately that function cannot be used in that context (inside the unset function). it was generating an error - so i had to revert to using indices - i discovered the congruency. it was looping all records in the database, so if the consumer entered more than one attribute unsupported by the supplier - it deleted a supplier for each key and value matched against that supplier. i added a check, that only allows one supplier to be deleted no matter how many attributes it does not support. ^^ this issue has been resolved :)

Archived