books for web and graphic design

dubesinhower

i know the basics of html and css. i want to make my sites look good. i've read through parts of the head first web design book, but i need suggestions as for others.i am not a trained graphic designer, but i did take an intro to computer graphics course at school. i just need a book that can give me some tips to make my site look better.thanks for any input!

well, since no one recommended anything, i did some research. i asked my friend, and he recommended two books.isbn 0321410971 Transcending CSSisbn 1581805012 Design Basics Indexi just purchased the first book, and i'll have it next week to review for anyone who would like to know.also, i have an interest in another book, since i own a related one.isbn 0321303377 Non-Designers Web Designguess i'll be spending some money on amazon :)

I'm sure no one responded because this question has been asked numerous times, and a simple forum search should have gotten you what you were looking for.Most people here have no problems recommending in of the Head First books for stuff like HTML/CSS. I like O'Reilly books for programming topics (Javascript, Java, etc)

I'm sure no one responded because this question has been asked numerous times, and a simple forum search should have gotten you what you were looking for.Most people here have no problems recommending in of the Head First books for stuff like HTML/CSS. I like O'Reilly books for programming topics (Javascript, Java, etc)
i'm not interested in html books. i'm looking for books for helping me to design layouts/ graphics for the web.

• 3 weeks later...

Find something you like and tweak it. With 80 gazillion web sites out there, no one will notice (unless you steal from your competition!). If you tweak the colors and fonts enough, a lot of people can look right at the original and not even notice.Just don't steal any copyrighted images.

Find something you like and tweak it. With 80 gazillion web sites out there, no one will notice (unless you steal from your competition!). If you tweak the colors and fonts enough, a lot of people can look right at the original and not even notice.Just don't steal any copyrighted images.
That has become my strategy for gaining practice experience.... (The tweaking part not the stealing.). You can visit a css gallery site and "tada" inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm not interested in html books. i'm looking for books for helping me to design layouts/ graphics for the web.
Try"the Zen of CSS design, visual enlightenment for the web" by Dave Shea & Molly Holzschkag (ISBN: 0321303474) (http://www.csszengarden.com)"Cascading Style Sheets: AND CSS Hacks and Filters - Making Cascading Style Sheets Work: The Designer's Edge" by Molly Holzschlag (ISBN: 0470056738)"Cascading Style Sheets: The Designer's Edge" by Molly Holzschlag (ISBN: 0782141846)enjoy!Jeff

"HANDCRAFTED CSS" by Dan Cederholm w/Ethan Marcotte (isbn-13: 978-0-321-64338-4 / isbn-10: 0-321-64338-0) has some interesting stuff if you don't mind that it doesn't validate and some things don't work in IE (big surprise).

Archived