HTML Email

jamesadrian

I am interested in learning how to send an email message with HTML markup in it. I get this type of email messages sent to me all the time, as I'm sure you all do. I read a book entitled "Creating Stunning HTML Email that just works" I still can't find out where to start. I have googled and googled. Where is the start of this subject?Does anybody here actually know how to send me an HTML Email message (perhaps with the source code attached)?jamesadrian@globalfreeenterprise.com

To send HTML emails, you have to use a server side programming language, like ASP or PHP. It's very easy to send one from PHP once you have it set up and learn the basics. For example, it can be as simple as this example from the PHP online manual:

<?php// multiple recipients$to  = 'aidan@example.com' . ', '; // note the comma$to .= 'wez@example.com';// subject$subject = 'Birthday Reminders for August';// message$message = '<html><head>  <title>Birthday Reminders for August</title></head><body>  <p>Here are the birthdays upcoming in August!</p>  <table>	<tr>	  <th>Person</th><th>Day</th><th>Month</th><th>Year</th>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td>Joe</td><td>3rd</td><td>August</td><td>1970</td>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td>Sally</td><td>17th</td><td>August</td><td>1973</td>	</tr>  </table></body></html>';// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";// Additional headers$headers .= 'To: Mary <mary@example.com>, Kelly <kelly@example.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'From: Birthday Reminder <birthday@example.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: birthdayarchive@example.com' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Bcc: birthdaycheck@example.com' . "\r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);?>

That's the newline character sequence (more specifically, carriage return-line break), and is the control sequence used to separate headers in SMTP.

chibineku,Thank you for this very informative message. I didn't know that a server-side language was also needed. I have just started to learn PHP.I get a feeling that the HTML Email message I send out should not come from my email client. I don't see how it could. I have a website hosted by GoDaddy.com . When I write an online form like contact.php I upload it to my hosting directory at GoDaddy and people who visit my website can write me a message. Where do I launch HTML Email?Thank you for your help.

To send HTML emails, you have to use a server side programming language, like ASP or PHP. It's very easy to send one from PHP once you have it set up and learn the basics. For example, it can be as simple as this example from the PHP online manual:
<?php// multiple recipients$to  = 'aidan@example.com' . ', '; // note the comma$to .= 'wez@example.com';// subject$subject = 'Birthday Reminders for August';// message$message = '<html><head>  <title>Birthday Reminders for August</title></head><body>  <p>Here are the birthdays upcoming in August!</p>  <table>	<tr>	  <th>Person</th><th>Day</th><th>Month</th><th>Year</th>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td>Joe</td><td>3rd</td><td>August</td><td>1970</td>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td>Sally</td><td>17th</td><td>August</td><td>1973</td>	</tr>  </table></body></html>';// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";// Additional headers$headers .= 'To: Mary <mary@example.com>, Kelly <kelly@example.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'From: Birthday Reminder <birthday@example.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: birthdayarchive@example.com' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Bcc: birthdaycheck@example.com' . "\r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);?>

chibineku,Thank you for this very informative message. I didn't know that a server-side language was also needed. I have just started to learn PHP.I get a feeling that the HTML Email message I send out should not come from my email client. I don't see how it could. I have a website hosted by GoDaddy.com . When I write an online form like contact.php I upload it to my hosting directory at GoDaddy and people who visit my website can write me a message. Where do I launch HTML Email?Thank you for your help.
HTML email is when you make a link on your site that looks like this:
<a href="mailto:me@domain.com">Email Me!</a>

This forces the page to use the clients email client to send mail. Not preferred by any means.The other method, as chibeniku and you have have mentioned, is to use a form in conjunction with a server side language. In the case of PHP, the form would submit to a PHP script which would parse the incoming form data and then construct the components needed to make use of PHP's built in mail(); all of which happens on the server. This is the preferred method.Unless you are referring to embedding HTML in your emails, in which chibeniku's reference to the PHP manual showcases just that; embedding HTML into an email, and sending it via a server-side language like PHP. You could still use a form and then use values of the form (like a persons name, birthday, etc) to construct an email of HTML that can insert form values into it to create customized HTML email using a template like style.

If I have understood the question correctly, I send HTML emails. My hosting package includes an option to send either plain text or HTML emails to a mailing list.The Markup is exactly the same as for a webpage. You do, however, need to be aware that: (a) many mail clients will mark HTML emails as spam unless the recipient has added you to his "safe" list, and (:) email clients vary considerably in their ability to properly render the email.Always include the "Click here if email does not display properly" safety net, and host the newsletter etc. on your site.Mark.

Thank you for all of your responses. They contain valuable information. I understand that the PHP mail(0) function is supposed to allow one to send an HTML Email message to anybody and do it from a PHP script. I tried uploading the code quoted below to my hosting directory and then sending my browser to that php file. I got a blank page in my browser, but that did not deter me. I went to the email addresses in the script and found nothing received or sent.Where do I launch HTML Email?Thank you for your help.

<?php$to = "jamesadrian@globalfreeenterprise.com, jim@globalfreeenterprise.com";$subject = "HTML email";$message = "<html><head><title>HTML email</title></head><body><p>This email contains HTML Tags!</p><table><tr><th>Firstname</th><th>Lastname</th></tr><tr><td>John</td><td>Doe</td></tr></table></body></html>";// Always set content-type when sending HTML email$headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0" . "\r\n";$headers .= "Content-type:text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" . "\r\n";// More headers$headers .= 'From: <info@globalfreeenterprise.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: admin@globalfreeenterprise.com' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Bcc: info@globalfreeenterprise.org' . "\r\n";mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);// $to  = 'aidan@example.com' . ', '; // note the comma// $to .= 'wez@example.com';?> 

Try only putting one e-mail address in the $to variable.

what about chibineku's suggestion?
There must be a fundamental link missing in my head. I have a number of scripts ready to send. I really do not know how to send them or any one of them. I have PHP installed in my hosting directory and here is another script:<?php// multiple recipients$to = 'jim@globalfreeenterprise.com' . ', '; // note the comma//$to .= 'wez@example.com';// subject$subject = 'Birthday Reminders for August';// message$message = '<html><head> <title>Birthday Reminders for August</title></head><body> <p>Here are the birthdays upcoming in August!</p> <table> <tr> <th>Person</th><th>Day</th><th>Month</th><th>Year</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Joe</td><td>3rd</td><td>August</td><td>1970</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sally</td><td>17th</td><td>August</td><td>1973</td> </tr> </table></body></html>';// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set$headers = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";// Additional headers$headers .= 'From: <info@globalfreeenterprise.com>' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: admin@globalfreeenterprise.com' . "\r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);?>How can I send it?Thank you for your help.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Is it that you don't know how to link a contact form to the mail script, or that you don't know how to launch the mail script, or is it that the mail script, when launched, fails to send the e-mail?

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Is it that you don't know how to link a contact form to the mail script, or that you don't know how to launch the mail script, or is it that the mail script, when launched, fails to send the e-mail?
Thank you for this very informative question.I don't know how to link a contact form to the mail script.I don't know how to launch the mail script.I have written one php script in a file that also contains HTML and an HTML Form. The file is called contact.php and it works athttp://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/contact.phpI understand the HTML Form and the way the website visitor gets to fill it out. I understand how the script sends me a text email message that contains the contents of the filled out form. I understand the basics of how the mail(0) function works in PHP. I have PHP scripts that contain HTML parts and the authors say that these scripts can be used to send an HTML Email message. I don't understand how to package, place or run any such script to cause an HTML Email message to be sent to an email address of my choosing. I tried uploading a script to my hosting directory and I tried to view it with my browser. Nothing happened.If you wanted to send the message contained in the script I recently quoted, wishing the message to appear as an HTML marked up page, you would certainly do something with the script. I have no clue as to what that would be. Please tell me what you would do with the script in order to send me, for instance (jamesadrian@globalfreeenterprise.com), that HTML marked up page as an email message.I have tried modifying contact.php to send me the script. It sends it in plain text. I don't have any other ideas to try.Thank you for your help and you patience with my apparent complete stupidity.Sincerely,Jim Adrian

you wouldn't see anything if you ran the script because it doesn't output anything. try just making the to line:

$to = 'jim@globalfreeenterprise.com';

you should enable error reporting on this page so when you run it off the server if there are any error at least these those will shows.

Okay, it's a bit clearer now. Do you know how to transfer form data with PHP using the get/post methods?Let's make a sample script that lets someone e-mail any address they like using your online form, for practice.A basic form page, let's call it contact_form.php (though it could be .html), might look like:

<html><head><title>Contact Form</title></head><body><form method="post" action="contact.php"><label for="from">Your E-mail Address:</label><input type="text" name="from" id="from" /><label for="to">Recipient:</label><input type="text" name="to" id="to" /><label for="subject">Subject:</label><input type="text" name="subject"  id="subject" /><label for="message">Message:</label><textarea name="message" id="message" rows="10" cols="40"></textarea><input type="submit" /></form></body></html>

The POST method means that data sent to contact.php is not displayed in the URL as it would be if we used the GET method - generally better for sending private/lengthy data.When you hit submit, the data entered in the inputs is sent in an array, and you access the data like so:$_POST["emailAddress"] // will return whatever the user entered.You usually want to validate user entered data, but let's not for just now, for simplicity and since there aren't any real security concerns here.So, to make contact.php do the right thing, we'd modify it like so:

<?php//simplify access to POSTED variables$from = $_POST["from"];$to = $_POST["to"];$subject = $_POST["subject"];$userMessage = $_POST["message"];// message$message = "<html><head><title>$subject</title></head><body><p>You were sent an HTML e-mail by $from</p><p>$userMessage</p></body></html>';// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set$headers = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";// Additional headers$headers .= "From: $from" . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: admin@globalfreeenterprise.com' . "\r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);//redirect user to some confirmation pageheader("Location: confirm_mail.html");exit;?>

I don't know how helpful that is, but it should clarify the chain of events a bit.

Okay, it's a bit clearer now. Do you know how to transfer form data with PHP using the get/post methods?
chibineku',I have used the post method.
When you hit submit, the data entered in the inputs is sent in an array, and you access the data like so:$_POST["emailAddress"] // will return whatever the user entered.
That's not the way I get the data. When the visitor hits submit (or I do as the visitor) the script displays an HTML page assuring me that the form was successfully completed. Then the script sends the array of data to me email address. I read it there. I do not access the data by typing in $_POST["emailAddress"] . I wouldn't know where to type it in anyway.Here is my contact form script:
<?phpif (isset($_POST['Submit'])){// get posted data into local variables$EmailFrom = "Contact Form at http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com";$EmailTo = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Subject = "Contact";$Reply = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Name = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Name']));$Age = $_POST['Age'];$Address = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Address']));$City = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['City']));$State = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['State']));$Zip = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Zip']));$Country = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Country']));$Telephone = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Telephone']));$Email = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Email']));$Website = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Website']));$Comments = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Comments']));// validation$validationOK=true;if (Trim($Name)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($Address)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($City)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($State)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($Zip)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($Country)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($Telephone)=="") $validationOK=false;if (Trim($Email)=="") $validationOK=false;//if (Trim($Website)=="") $validationOK=false;if (!$validationOK) {print "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;URL=http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/error.htm\">";exit;}// prepare email body text$Body ="";$Body .= "This is your copy of your message to GlobalFreeEnterprise.com";$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Additional messages to GlobalFreeEnterprise.com must be sent to the reply address below and not by simple reply button because this message to you was sent from a website form.";$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Name: ";$Body .= $Name;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Age: ";$Body .= $Age;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Address: ";$Body .= $Address;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "City: ";$Body .= $City;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "State: ";$Body .= $State;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Zip: ";$Body .= $Zip;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Country: ";$Body .= $Country;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Telephone: ";$Body .= $Telephone;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Email: ";$Body .= $Email;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Reply: ";$Body .= $Reply;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Website: ";$Body .= $Website;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Company: ";$Body .= $Company;$Body .= "\n";$Body .= "Comments: ";$Body .= $Comments;$Body .= "\n";// send email$success = mail($EmailTo, $Subject, $Body, "From: <$EmailFrom>");// Print style redirect to success page:if ($success){print "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;URL=http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/ok.htm\">";}else{print "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;URL=http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/error.htm\">";}// send copy to visitor$success = mail($Email, $Subject, $Body, "From: <$EmailFrom>");}?><html><head><title>contact.php</title><meta name="description" content="Free Enterprise." /><meta name="keywords" content="Free Enterprise" /><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="gfe.css" /></head>....

The rest of it is HTML and an HTML Form that includes the submit button.The form sends a message (Body) to me and also sends a copy to the visitor's email address.You sent two sections of code as follows:

Let's make a sample script that lets someone e-mail any address they like using your online form, for practice.A basic form page, let's call it contact_form.php (though it could be .html), might look like:
<html><head><title>Contact Form</title></head><body><form method="post" action="contact.php"><label for="from">Your E-mail Address:</label><input type="text" name="from" id="from" /><label for="to">Recipient:</label><input type="text" name="to" id="to" /><label for="subject">Subject:</label><input type="text" name="subject"  id="subject" /><label for="message">Message:</label><textarea name="message" id="message" rows="10" cols="40"></textarea><input type="submit" /></form></body></html>

...So, to make contact.php do the right thing, we'd modify it like so:

<?php//simplify access to POSTED variables$from = $_POST["from"];$to = $_POST["to"];$subject = $_POST["subject"];$userMessage = $_POST["message"];// message$message = "<html><head><title>$subject</title></head><body><p>You were sent an HTML e-mail by $from</p><p>$userMessage</p></body></html>';// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set$headers = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";// Additional headers$headers .= "From: $from" . "\r\n";$headers .= 'Cc: admin@globalfreeenterprise.com' . "\r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);//redirect user to some confirmation pageheader("Location: confirm_mail.html");exit;?>

I think you start out referring to the file as contact_form.php and said it could be an HTML file. Both scripts seem to call it contact.php . This brings to mind the issue of whether to put the form in a separate file.htm while putting the script in a file.php . You can see that my contact.php integrates the form with the script and calls the whole thing a php file. I could understand a such a pair of files, if that is what you meant.Your input is very encouraging. I think you can see where I am in trying to understand it. If you would comment on the last paragraph, and possibly my contact.php file, I think I can get a start on doing some experiments.Thank you for your help

Actually, if you look at your own script, you will in fact see its doing exactly what chibeniku said.

if (isset($_POST['Submit'])){// get posted data into local variables$EmailFrom = "Contact Form at http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com";$EmailTo = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Subject = "Contact";$Reply = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Name = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Name']));$Age = $_POST['Age'];$Address = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Address']));$City = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['City']));$State = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['State']));$Zip = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Zip']));$Country = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Country']));$Telephone = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Telephone']));$Email = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Email']));$Website = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Website']));$Comments = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Comments']));

The form submits to itself (i.e. the form action is the same page the has the form and the script that sends the email) by checking the status of the submit button (the very first line of the script) and if its true, then it assigns hard coded data and form data (passed in the $_POST array) to that list of variables. This method is very common. Your script then validates the information (some of which has been commented out) and if it doesn't meet certain criteria, then the user is redirected to an error page. If all that is successful, it constructs the mail headers and redirects to a success page.

Actually, if you look at your own script, you will in fact see its doing exactly what chibeniku said.
if (isset($_POST['Submit'])){// get posted data into local variables$EmailFrom = "Contact Form at http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com";$EmailTo = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Subject = "Contact";$Reply = "info@globalfreeenterprise.com";$Name = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Name']));$Age = $_POST['Age'];$Address = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Address']));$City = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['City']));$State = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['State']));$Zip = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Zip']));$Country = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Country']));$Telephone = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Telephone']));$Email = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Email']));$Website = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Website']));$Comments = Trim(stripslashes($_POST['Comments']));

The form submits to itself (i.e. the form action is the same page the has the form and the script that sends the email) by checking the status of the submit button (the very first line of the script) and if its true, then it assigns hard coded data and form data (passed in the $_POST array) to that list of variables. This method is very common. Your script then validates the information (some of which has been commented out) and if it doesn't meet certain criteria, then the user is redirected to an error page. If all that is successful, it constructs the mail headers and redirects to a success page.

thescientist,Thank you for message.I have not succeeded in modifying my contact.php script or using any other script to sent an HTML Email message. I have succeeded in sending a text message which included HTML source code.One the highest level, I am looking for instructions that might look like this:---------1. Write a script called contact.php that contains an HTML Email message. Do not include any form data to be filled out. Include a submit button.2. Upload contact.php to my hosting account directory.3. Go to http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/contact.php with a browser.4. Click on the submit button.5. Go to the email account that the message was addressed to.6. Find there an HTML Email message (not a plain text message).---------The above is a guess. Does it contain any elements that are true?Thank you for your help.

if you can get the email, but not in HTML formatting, perhaps its your email client. How do you access your email? Is it webmail like hotmail or yahoo, or is it through an email client like Outlook?

if you can get the email, but not in HTML formatting, perhaps its your email client. How do you access your email? Is it webmail like hotmail or yahoo, or is it through an email client like Outlook?
I get my email through GoDaddy webmail as part of my hosting plan with them.I realize that the way I get my email and my email settings and all of that could be a problem, but my real problem is more basic than that. I really need to know if the way I am SENDING the email is correct. I need an answer to my most recent question. Is this the way to send an HTML Email message?---------1. Write a script called contact.php that contains an HTML Email message. Do not include any form data to be filled out. Include a submit button.2. Upload contact.php to my hosting account directory.3. Go to http://www.globalfreeenterprise.com/contact.php with a browser.4. Click on the submit button.5. Go to the email account that the message was addressed to.6. Find there an HTML Email message (not a plain text message).---------Since I wrote this guess, I realized that if the above instructions were the right way to do it, anybody with a browser could resend that email message.Thank you for your help.

Anybody with a browser COULD resend the e-mail, which is why it doesn't usually work like that. In the example I gave, I imagined that you were creating an online e-mail service so that the sender, recipient and content would be different each time. If you want to create a system for allowing you to send HTML mail to a mailing list, then first password restrict access to that page, and create a template that allows you to paste HTML into the message body and a space for creating a new subject line, that way you won't need to create a whole new version of the contact page each time you want to send an HTML e-mail. Your steps for sending an HTML e-mail are correct as far as they go, but have no flexibility or way of preventing abuse. I tried out your form and added some HTML tags and it worked perfectly, by the way.

I get my email through GoDaddy webmail as part of my hosting plan with them.I realize that the way I get my email and my email settings and all of that could be a problem, but my real problem is more basic than that. I really need to know if the way I am SENDING the email is correct. I need an answer to my most recent question. Is this the way to send an HTML Email message?
Well, for all we know the problem IS your email settings. Just because you don't see it as HTML email in your inbox, doesn't mean it isn't working. Have you even bothered to check if in fact your webmail client is the problem? Clearly if this wasn't the way to send HTML email, it would have been pointed out over the past 20 or so posts. Instead of repeating the same questions of what you want this script to do, why not just check to make sure its not you. note:Chiebinku got it working so, that eliminates the fact that script doesn't work....

thescientist,I have changed my email settings a lot and I don't know whether there is still a problem with them. No settings tried produced a HTML rendering. My hosting service is still giving me more information about sending email through their webmail. I didn't mean to sound as though I were dismissing your advice. I could have explained more. I was urgently trying to get the answer to the question I repeated. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

Anybody with a browser COULD resend the e-mail, which is why it doesn't usually work like that. In the example I gave, I imagined that you were creating an online e-mail service so that the sender, recipient and content would be different each time. If you want to create a system for allowing you to send HTML mail to a mailing list, then first password restrict access to that page, and create a template that allows you to paste HTML into the message body and a space for creating a new subject line, that way you won't need to create a whole new version of the contact page each time you want to send an HTML e-mail. Your steps for sending an HTML e-mail are correct as far as they go, but have no flexibility or way of preventing abuse. I tried out your form and added some HTML tags and it worked perfectly, by the way.
chibineku,This is exactly what I wanted to know./////It appears that I need to know MySql as well as PHP so that an online e-mail service can be built to send HTML Email in a reasonable way. It's depressing. Also, I had a hard time getting across my deepest concern.I am new to PHP and I don't know yet whether my experiments included a script that would have had the ability to be rendered a message as HTML I have many questions. I will describe them carefully after learning more about the information this group has given me. Building an online e-mail service sounds like a huge undertaking.Thank you all for trying to enlighten me. I appreciate your help.

Archived