desiging web page for a largest screen monitor width

hansolo

id say the smallest is 800 x 600. The largest....that could be pretty big. this might get you going in the right direction.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolutionI think if you design for 1024px wide and center your pages you should be able to accommodate everyone pretty well.

The largest monitors widely available to consumers at present measure 30" diagonally, and have a resolution of 2560×1600 (TV screens may be larger, but only have a resolution of 1920×1080). However, remember that users of high-resolution monitors are unlikely to have their browser window maximized. It is better to either have a fluid layout, or to just design for a lowest common denominator (960px wide is common).

Remember that some things work best with fixed dimensions, rather than fluid dimensions. I'm thinking mostly of text. Even at 16px, an 800px-width of solid text is incredibly annoying.This is why newspapers use columns, and why newspaper columns and magazine columns are roughly the same width, even though the available space is different.The human eye reads best when it does not have to scan horizontally across a lot of width.So if one or more chunks of your page is reading text (not just headline), then I suggest using fixed widths for at least those chunks.

The human eye reads best when it does not have to scan horizontally across a lot of width.
Hence mobile web browsing is annoying.

Hence mobile web browsing is annoying.
how so? Isn't the screen size on a mobile phone much narrower? I think the point being made is the same rationale for why newspapers have multiple columns per page, so the line widths are short, albeit longer in height.

how so? Isn't the screen size on a mobile phone much narrower? I think the point being made is the same rationale for why newspapers have multiple columns per page, so the line widths are short, albeit longer in height.
On the blackberry browser the default layout requires you to scroll horizontally to read individual lines. Similar to how a typewriter works. But there is a column view option which is still a pain.

On the blackberry browser the default layout requires you to scroll horizontally to read individual lines. Similar to how a typewriter works. But there is a column view option which is still a pain.
oh. yeah, I see. That's pretty lame.

Archived