Filling out some empty space in navbar

elliotnewman

http://www.elliotnewman.com/index/test8.htmlCan anybody help me find out how I can fill in the gap between the NEWS and CONTACT items on the navbar? I would like to continue the black region, I tried to insert a div tag with the same black colour fill, but could only get it half working by filling in the exact pixel dimensions, rather than for it to just fill the space automagically.Thanks in advance for any help.Elliot

two ways to do this#nav_bar_wrapper {background-color:#000000; /*added*/margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;overflow:hidden;width:1120px;}ORul#menu {margin:0;padding:0;background-color:#000000; /*added*/overflow:hidden; /*added*/}#nav_bar_wrapper adds background color to full width of menu, behind left and right menu items. Whereas ul#menu seems to be behind left menu items only, so #nav_bar_wrapper might be the best option.

looking at you site, margins would seem to work fine.couple of small points. 1. using div for every menu really is not neccessary, you could turn them, or just use the anchor tags you have already for that, by assigning display:block to the anchors, you are basically turning then into a sort of div (block element).2. if you plan to keep the divs, you are duplicating a lot of the menus css.instead#print_sales {background-color:#000000;color:#CCCCCC;float:left;font-size:13px;height:22px;letter-spacing:0.1em;margin-right:3px;padding-left:25px;padding-right:25px;padding-top:8px;}you could use#nav_bar div{background-color:#000000;color:#CCCCCC;float:left;font-size:13px;height:22px;letter-spacing:0.1em;margin-right:3px;padding-left:25px;padding-right:25px;padding-top:8px;}this will target all the divs within div with id 'nav_bar' used for menus

Archived